Author Topic: Empulse R owner @ Antwerp Belgium (Ramses)  (Read 3239 times)

Ramses

• View Profile
Empulse R owner @ Antwerp Belgium (Ramses)
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »
Hi everybody,

I'm Ramses I live in Belgium and I bought a Empulse R!
Here are some pictures i already captured.
Mods already done are led lights everywhere and frame sliders

I'm now driving the empulse for a week.
If i drive from 100% battery to a 15% battery state. i can drive 75 km's (they promise 95km's on highway)
Is this normal?

I hoped to get 120 km's combined use easily, but its not possible.
If there are other brammo empulse owners in Antwerp that read this post please contact me to discuss this issue.
Maybe we can meet somewhere and take it for a spin to compare battery drain.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:36:00 PM by Ramses »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Empulse R owner @ Antwerp Belgium (Ramses)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
Hello Ramses!

I visited Antwerp (Antwerpen) earlier this year. A beautiful city! And delicious beers :)

The 2014 Empulse is rated at 56 miles = 93 km at 70 mph = 113 kph. Typically this test is performed starting from 100% SOC until the vehicle cannot maintain the highway speed, near 0% SOC. It is performed on flat ground in moderate temperatures and little or no wind.

75km from 100% to 15% SOC seems low, but if range is proportional to SOC then this would give you around 75 km / 0.85 = 88 km of range, slightly less than the claimed highway range. Going up or down hills, or riding slightly faster than the test speed or into a small headwind could also reduce range slightly, potentially contributing to the discrepancy you see.

Can you describe the conditions of the ride where you saw the reported range? I assume it was on the highway?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Ramses

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »
Yes it is a lot of highway to drive my daily comute.
If i leave home 100% charged, taking only highways to work I arrive with 50% riding 31 km's.
When I return home with the 50% left taking roads mostly 90 km/h (no highways). I arrive at home with 15 %. Total of 73km's on dash.
No hills and almost no wind today temperature 25 to 30 degrees.

So I don't dare to take the highway back home ending with 0%.

I asked my work to install a charge point. But not expecting to get one in the near future.

RickXB

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:13:15 PM »
I can make 1% per km if I stay below 105kmh & now I keep a buffer of 10% since I reached 6% & then it dropped at 0%. I was able to do around 1 km after that at slow speed before shut off.

katacrak

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 03:56:42 AM »
I have an E1 Empulse , and in theory the R consumed 15 % more energy .
Normally I adapt my driving to the course and distance, but I have come to realize only 65 kms and have a 13% SOC , that if top speed and performance in almost 70 % of travel.
It is essential to have a loading point in your work, in this way you will not have anxiety , a simple schuko , and a double charger extension at work, and thus do not have to carry it. I did, and I'm happy .
Ultimately your average cost of energy is normal, thought to be a bike with great performances , and low battery.
It is a point that should improve as has Zero and the possibility of 15.3 kw / h our Empulse only 9.3 kw / h and a new victory risen to 10.4 kw / h , in my opinion far from Zero.

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »

I'm now driving the empulse for a week.
If i drive from 100% battery to a 15% battery state. i can drive 75 km's (they promise 95km's on highway)
Is this normal?

I hoped to get 120 km's combined use easily, but its not possible.
If there are other brammo empulse owners in Antwerp that read this post please contact me to discuss this issue.
Maybe we can meet somewhere and take it for a spin to compare battery drain.
Hey Ramses, your numbers sound about right and factory estimates are way optimistic. It is what it is, the highway just kills the range. 100 km on mostly backroads should be doable.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:30:35 PM »
After two years of riding, I routinely count on a general mixed average range of 110 km. In addition to the temperature, the big range killer is speed. At at constant 120 km/h on the highway, my range is about 85 to 90 km at 18 C. with a windscreen. For longer trips, I stay in the slow lane and go as slowly as I feel is safe.

Around town, with careful acceleration and lots of regen braking, I can count on 150 km.

Two things to increase range:

1) Use the Sport mode (greater regen) and accelerate slowly, and coast often with the clutch in. Try to let regen do the braking and stay off the brakes as much as possible.

2) A windscreen can get you about a 10% increase in range on the highway.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »
I have an E1 Empulse , and in theory the R consumed 15 % more energy .
Normally I adapt my driving to the course and distance, but I have come to realize only 65 kms and have a 13% SOC , that if top speed and performance in almost 70 % of travel.
It is essential to have a loading point in your work, in this way you will not have anxiety , a simple schuko , and a double charger extension at work, and thus do not have to carry it. I did, and I'm happy .
Ultimately your average cost of energy is normal, thought to be a bike with great performances , and low battery.
It is a point that should improve as has Zero and the possibility of 15.3 kw / h our Empulse only 9.3 kw / h and a new victory risen to 10.4 kw / h , in my opinion far from Zero.

9.3 kWh for the Empulse is 103V 90Ah. I assume the newer bike is 103V 100Ah - either 25Ah cells or 10Ah cells.

13.5 kWh for the largest battery Zero is 103V 135Ah; the 15.3 kWh is a fantasy metric that Zero likes to use.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Ramses

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »
After two years of riding, I routinely count on a general mixed average range of 110 km. In addition to the temperature, the big range killer is speed. At at constant 120 km/h on the highway, my range is about 85 to 90 km at 18 C. with a windscreen. For longer trips, I stay in the slow lane and go as slowly as I feel is safe.

Around town, with careful acceleration and lots of regen braking, I can count on 150 km.

Two things to increase range:

1) Use the Sport mode (greater regen) and accelerate slowly, and coast often with the clutch in. Try to let regen do the braking and stay off the brakes as much as possible.

2) A windscreen can get you about a 10% increase in range on the highway.

Thnx for the advice!
Next week I ask my dealer to order a windscreen original from brammo, the large one.
If i get 10% more range on highways that would be awesome!
I'm planning to do a trip in september to the beach it's 101 km's, charge there and drive back home.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse R owner @ Antwerp Belgium (Ramses)
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
Maybe the Victory screen will fit.
I got the MRA screen after waiting for a lot of months for the original Brammo screen to arrive.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

mariobelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
Hey Ramses
I live in laakdal,on the edge of antwerp and limburg
so it would be great to meet each other somewhere
and do some riding
i am the whole week free

Ramses

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 03:37:03 AM »
Hi MarioBelgium,

I send a PM,
See you soon ;)

Ramses

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »
Me and mario went for a trip with the Brammo's today.
It was great fun driving and loading... with Mario.
We went from Heist-op-den-berg to Mechelen and at last for a drink in Lier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lVDBkm38LU

CBke

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »
We went from Heist-op-den-berg to Mechelen and at last for a drink in Lier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lVDBkm38LU

Nice trip, good to see some other electric motorcycles around Antwerp.

Groetjes uit Ekeren
CBke

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »
Nice video. Nice California stop at the stop sign.  ;D
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.