Author Topic: Removing front wheel  (Read 1098 times)

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Removing front wheel
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:56:02 AM »
I just received today my clip-ons from Ebay :)

As I didn't wanted to spend a lot of money in these as I am not really sure I will keep them I went for one of the less expensive and they can not be opened.

I payed 33€ delivered for them and they look really good.

Now it will be time to put them on the bike and this is where I need some help.

My idea is to remove the front wheel, loose one fork leg, slide it down, put the clip-on, slide it up and align it with the other and tighten it again. Then repeat for the second fork leg.

The only problem is that I need to stand the bike somewhere to remove the front wheel. My idea is to use the two bolt threads on the frame near the Empulse logo to support the bike. I hope they are strong enough but I have no other idea since under the bike everything is plastic and electronic. Maybe some of you already did it and will comfort me in this idea or suggest me a better solution?

Thanks in advance !

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Removing front wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:52 PM »
They sell front stands that insert into the hole in the pivot of the triple clamp, but you'd have to get the right pin size.  See this thread for details:

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=2693.0
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 12:21:13 AM »
There is no correct sized pin available, unless the hole in the bottom of your triple tree is larger than the Empulse R I have (2013), which was 11 mm. The smallest pin made, AFAIK, is 13 mm. Flar's link discusses this in detail and offered a work-around idea.

That said, the 10 mm bolt diameters where the front sliders attach seem pretty beefy.

I wonder how the shops remove the front wheel? I've taken my in a couple of times, but not stayed to see them working on it.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Removing front wheel
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 02:09:29 AM »
When my front tyre recall was done they put straps at the handlebar and suspended it from the ceiling.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

+progress-

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • EVinceApparel.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »
The first time I removed the front wheel I only had the front and rear stand.  That worked okay except that the floor of my garage isn't perfectly level which put uneven tension on each side of the front suspension and  made it difficult to get the front axle back in.
I recently purchased the side jack stands that are holding the bike up by the Woodcraft frame sliders I bought from Brammo.  They fit perfectly into the circular support arms of the jack stands.  You still need both the front and rear stands but if you want to remove the front wheel, or forks or gain access to the steering bearings then you put the side stands in position beneath the frame sliders and remove the front stand.

This set-up is great because you can also remove the rear suspension and swing arm if you adjust the height of the jack stands, place them beneath the foot pegs (zip-tie them in the up position), and remove the rear stand.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:39:18 PM by +progress- »
2013 Empulse R  #80  <RIP> *1st in Seattle
2016 Victory Empulse TT #176 *1st in Seattle 8/30/18 - In shop for warranty motor replacement

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »
That looks like da bizness! ;)

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 06:47:50 AM »
Another aproach to jack up the front. (read the full thread)

I modified a Telefix cruiser stand

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:52:58 AM by JeffK »
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case