Author Topic: Used Enertia shut off during first commute...  (Read 2084 times)

madmaxatx

• View Profile
    • Email
Used Enertia shut off during first commute...
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
Hi all, just bought a used Brammo Enertia (2009, 1300 miles). Wanted an EV for commuting. Central Texas. Been riding a Yamaha XJ600 for a year or two.

First commute on the bike today. Ride in this morning was great. 12.5 miles and the battery went from 86% to 46%.

Ride home was not so great. Had charged the bike back to 100% in full sun. Temperature on LCD showed 105 - 107 during ride. Got about 3 miles (highway and steepest hill in town) and lost power. LCD said COME TO FULL STOP, then CYCLE THROTTLE SWITCH.

Pretty happy I wasn't on the highway when this happened.

I was able to get off the road and flipped the handlebar switch off and on, and it came back on. Rode another 2 miles and it happened again. Was on watch for this shit and pulled off road, flipped switch, and got the rest of the 8 miles home with no problem. Battery at 48% after 12.5 miles.

Somewhat discouraged. Anybody know WTF that was? Temperature too high? Faulty switch? Manual doesn't have much detail on faults.

Also, why the fuck doesn't the LCD flash red lights or make noise when the bike shuts off mid-ride? Holy hell that could have been bad. I was lucky I was rolling up to a red light the first time it died.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MM

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Used Enertia shut off during first commute...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »
I think your Enertia have a cell imbalance problem since it has not been used for a long time. Charge it over night and test it the next day.  I had the same thing a few months ago. I didn't use my Enertia for 6 months or more.

2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

madmaxatx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:33:17 AM »
Thanks Consultec - I charged it last night and will give it a test ride soon.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »
I remember that another Enertia owner had to charge it for a week to fix the cell imbalance so overnight charging might not be enough!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

madmaxatx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 11:00:58 AM »
Update - after charging the battery for a couple of days I rode the Enertia to work again yesterday. Rode pretty fast and drained the battery to %53 over 11 miles. Charged at work back to %100.

Riding home I took a different route and made a stop. 10 miles and battery was at %60. When I started riding the last leg home the bike shut off as I was just starting. No "stop and cycle power" messages on the display. Had to shut the bike off with the tank power button to get it to go.

Rode the rest of the way home with no problems.

Will report on today's ride tomorrow.

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »
Good news. Your batteries needs TLC.. Ride more. :-)
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

madmaxatx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 01:58:51 PM »
The bike continues to shut off while riding.

Not every time, but about every third ride.

Seems kind of dangerous.

Can the batteries be serviced or replaced to avoid this problem?

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
If you go full throttle often, it will warn before it will shut you down...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 06:44:29 AM »
Earlier in September, it seems like it could have been related to high temperatures (especially as your commute seems to be mostly highway?) .. with lower ambient temperatures that seems less likely, especially dying immediately after resuming from a stop.

Does the bike shut off when you ride a lower-speed route?

Can you pull the logs from the USB drive and send them to Brammo? That seems like the most direct route to identifying the problem.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 04:28:50 AM »
If it does it again, push the throttle switch in deeper even if it is pushed in.  Sometimes mine will do this when driving.  I push it in again or more and it goes back to normal.  I think it may be a switch problem