Author Topic: Electrical Mystery  (Read 823 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Electrical Mystery
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »
About a year ago, I unplugged the 3-conductor plug off the back of the headlight and used it to power 1) a replacement LED headlight unit, 2) a garage door opener that's triggered by two flicks of the high beam, and 3) two LED auxiliary driving lights. The total wattage is less than the stock headlight high beam.

This setup worked well for the last 12 months, then, everything tied to the high beam, including the high beam, stopped working. Naturally I figured one of my tapped-in connections came loose, but not so.

Then, I unplugged the stock headlight 3-conductor plug to test things. So now all my farkles are now downstream and not connected to the system at all. Only the plug and the adjacent upstream wiring harness are being tested. 

Here's the mystery: with the headlight switch in the LOW setting, I get a 12V reading between the top lone slot connection and each of the two remaining slots that are parallel to each other:

|
   |   |

But, with the headlight switch in the HIGH position, there is no voltage coming into the plug at all.

All 12V fuses are intact. Could this  be a faulty headlight switch? Does the Empulse use a CANBUS and could that be the source of the error? I just don't understand what's going on!

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Electrical Mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:20:50 AM »
My money would be on the headlight switch from what you are describing.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical Mystery
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:30:25 PM »
I think it's a CANBUS problem. In cars, they do weird things.  I think it's the same problem with Empulse.
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Electrical Mystery
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 04:47:15 PM »
Any luck with solving the issue?
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical Mystery
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »
Adam suggested I replace the handlebar headlight switch. It's on order from my local dealer. Will keep you posted.