Author Topic: won't charge -- problem solved, and new Bay Area service center.  (Read 4323 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: won't charge -- problem solved, and new Bay Area service center.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
I wonder if I'm getting this same problem.

My bike stopped charging at the Level 2 charger at my office on Thursday, but the Level 1 charger still worked at home. I was able to charge to 100% and make it to work. When I got back home on Friday, and tried to charge with the Level 1 charger, that failed to work any more.

Can anybody tell me how I can see if the connectors had melted? Or is the only way to to take the bike to the service department to take a look?
Richard #935 #595 #44

Seal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
You solved your problem?

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »
I wonder if I'm getting this same problem.

My bike stopped charging at the Level 2 charger at my office on Thursday, but the Level 1 charger still worked at home. I was able to charge to 100% and make it to work. When I got back home on Friday, and tried to charge with the Level 1 charger, that failed to work any more.

Can anybody tell me how I can see if the connectors had melted? Or is the only way to to take the bike to the service department to take a look?

I remember when mine did this, it was one of the cooling fans for the onboard charger needed to be replaced. At the time nobody could do the work so Brammo sent me the replacement fan and so I changed it myself.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Dietmar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »
Hi Adan

In regards to those connectors - can you please confirm they are inside the onboard charger assembly or the ones on the Charger adapter plugs.

If inside the Charger assembly - any trick to get it off without removing the back wheel assembly ?

rgds

Dietmar

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Mine just stopped charging, too. I just recently started charging more often at level II, so my habits fit the description of the problem.

It has been sporadic on displaying charging amperage for a few weeks (although still charging), so I suspect that was a precursor.

I'll post up what I find.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:51 AM »
Yes, keep us updated!

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 08:40:32 PM »
I dug in to the bike looking for problems. I found the melted connector, but it didn't look too bad. It was definitely melted, but still intact. I looked for a dead cooling fan, too. Nothing obvious.

I asked the local dealer if they could order me the new connector. They said Polaris wouldn't sell them one, so I am on my own.

So I ordered some common wire splices. Be careful working on this connector. I thought the connectors ran between the plug and the charger based on the color of the wires. Nope. 95 volts DC running through mine. It's between the charger and the battery. Disconnect the main plug, and it's safe to work on. I spliced the wires together. But still no current being drawn when connected to an EVSE.

I am guessing I am having this problem:
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3484.msg25370#msg25370

At this point the motorcycle is getting too demanding, so I may just give up. If anyone else has any ideas, hit me up.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

BrammoQC

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Brammo, Inc
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »
Does it not charge using any J1772  plug, or just your adapter having the problem? The Clipper Creek J1772 plugs can wear out over time, the way to tell is if the large contacts are missing small perimeter coil springs. These can wear and fall out causing an open condition and not triggering the charger. Also, J1772 uses a pilot signal to tell charger it's connected, these are the smaller contacts, worth checking as well. I suggest trying a public charger and confirm it's bike side.

DH

elainachambers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 10:15:19 PM »
Looks like I am having the exact same problem.  I was charging at work on a T2 connection and when I checked my bike at lunch I noticed that it was only at 80% and was pulling 0 amps.  So I unplugged and replugged a few times.  No change.  So I moved the bike down a few spots to a different J1772.  Same problem, it connects, the fans go on for a split second, then they turn off.  The display stays on, says that it is charging but doesn't pull any amperage.  When I left work five hours later the bike was still at 80% charge. 

I got home, and hooked it up to my 110V adapter.  Same thing.  It starts to initialize, but the fans immediately turn off and the bike doesn't pull any current.  The charger reads as though it is charging.

I took off the seat, cover, and top of the charge connector. All of the wiring looks good, nothing appears to be melted. Fuses were inspected, didn't look bad, but I replaced two just to be on the safe side. [/img]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:25:39 PM by elainachambers »