Author Topic: Clickbait titled article, but be sure to read the comments  (Read 3731 times)

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Clickbait titled article, but be sure to read the comments
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 05:47:31 AM »
Yeah, I know what clickbait is.  I'm a writer, remember?  :D 

This ain't clickbait.  It's actually a pretty concise call on where we're at, today, in the industry.  It is the end of the "beginning".  If you call a title that "makes you want to click" clickbait, you just called every title ever written on the web clickbait. 

It's a great title, in fact. And a great piece.

The title isn't really clickbait, but that graphic (which is what appears if you share the article on a FB timeline) is misleading and sensationalist.  In particular, here is what you see on a FB news feed:

80% Graphic with big red letters underneath it "PLUG-IN ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLES ARE A SCAM"
15% Text underneath that with the title of the article "The Electric Superbike - The End of the Beginning" (the title is in smaller font than the SCAM caption)
5% Text below that which appears to be a summary of the article: "Electric motorcycle companies are dying.  Is the electric motorcycle a dead concept?"

All in all, when you see that, it comes across as just one step away from "AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!" even though the article itself is nothing like those "WON'T BELIEVE" sites/articles.

In particular, when I first saw a pointer to this article on my FB feed I didn't click on it precisely because that graphic screamed "clickbait" to me - it gave me an expectation that the article was a general put-down of the concept of EV motorcycles using Mission as a trigger point by a writer who couldn't get attention any other way.  While it was very critical of Mission, it was more about an industry evolution than an industry-wide scam.  It wasn't until someone posted the link to the article here (with just the title) that I decided it was worth a read (and actually didn't even realize it was the same article that I had avoided due to the sensational graphic until I reached the page and saw the graphic there).  I decided to read anyway because I was already there and it was being discussed here or I may have just closed the window.

Until I saw the name of the link here I thought that "Plug-in Electric Motorcycles Are A Scam" was the actual title of the article, and if nothing else, more of a barometer of what the article would be about.

Is that clickbait?  I think that graphic and the summary, when compared to the actual direction that the article takes - is a form of clickbaiting.  The contents of the graphic and the 2 sentences used to provide some idea of content are sensationalistic and misleading about what the article is going to be about - and in a way that will attract a lot of clicks from people who probably are looking more for some serious schadenfreude rather than a historical accounting and an industry analysis.

But, the purest form of clickbaiting - the robotically generated sites that tie into search engines and social media advertising with the "You'll never believe!" meme - the article is a long way from anything like that, but you wouldn't think it was very far from that just judging from what shows up on your FB feed...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Ted Dillard

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 05:53:49 AM »
Totally agree on the sensationalist graphics, and frankly, they confuse me.  I think it kind of does a disservice to Michael's writing, frankly.  As for the Facebook feed, good point.  I didn't see it in my feed, nor did I see that leading graphic. 

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
LMAO

I've never insulted a member here as you just did, and if you think calling out fact against bullshit is being an asshole, then you're right.  I'm an asshole. 

I'll leave it to Harry to call whether he wants to leave your contribution standing...  if so, I'll leave you to it. Thanks for the morning entertainment.

I never insulted you I'm just expressing my opinion on the facts I have, kind of like you...
To insult you I would have called you a whiny liberal asshole, see the difference?
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »
Now, boys..... Am I going to have to separate you?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Ted Dillard

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 09:05:44 AM »
Brilliant.  Like I said, why do I even read the stuff over here? 

No need to separate us, Harry, I have a book to write and no time for dumbasses like this guy.  Sorry to see this group go the way of the rest of the idiocracy.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:09:43 AM by Ted Dillard »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
Ted, don't you think that deciding the way this entire group is going based on the comments of one member is using a broad brush to smear us all? I, for one, found being put by you into the set labeled "idiocracy" a bit harsh.

Looking forward to your book, now that you've freed up more time!

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »
 Ted Dillard is definitely not an a*****e, but I have to say, I am also not sure why he's here.  I guess he sees this as another forum to articulate and refine his views on the industry as a whole.  That's fine and well, but I don't think that's why most of us hang out here, and I usually come away from threads like this feeling like I could have spent the time in better ways.  I'll try to make better choices in the future.

But I do like the rhetorical question: what is the opposite of "preaching to the choir"?  Buggering the choirboys?  Too crude, perhaps.  I'll try to come up with something better.

I did read the article and it struck me as mostly opinion based on speculation.   Approaching journalism, but not quite journalism.  It would have been an interesting read if I hadn't already read most of it before.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »
I usually come away from threads like this feeling like I could have spent the time in better ways.  I'll try to make better choices in the future.

Preach it, brother.  ;)

Lately, my favorite posts are ones like your "won't charge" topic where we find out that Brammo still cares about our bikes and goes the extra mile to help solve our issues.  And folks that post pictures and detailed instructions of their mods.

Ted Dillard

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 03:28:15 PM »

Preach it, brother.  ;)

You did start this thread, right?   ::)

(...since you won't let me close my account, I just HAD to respond.  I've been biting my virtual tongue for two days about the title of this thread, and the last thread you started.  They're more clickbait than the story you're accusing of being clickbait. lmao. NOW can you close my account pleeeze?   :P)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »
NOW can you close my account pleeeze?   :P)

Ted, I sent you a private message telling you, step by step, how to delete your account. Maybe you didn't get that message.  I'll repeat it here.
Go to "Profile". Go to the "Actions" tab. You are then given the option to delete your account. Please let me know if you have problems with that and I'll see what I can do.

Ted Dillard

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
Did just what you tole me.  Din't work.   :P

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email