Author Topic: Please check your steering head bearings  (Read 982 times)

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Please check your steering head bearings
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
Brammo specifies to check your steering head bearings every 5000 k (+repack with grease)
I discovered the bearings can develop play much sooner.

Now I can jack up the front more easily with my new device it is also easy to check the bearings' play.
They needed tightening after 2000K.

If you ride too long with excessive play on the bearings, they will wear out premature.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Please check your steering head bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:11:56 PM »
I'm embarrassed to say this is the first I've heard of this service requirement. Other than lifting the front end of the bike, what's involved in the packing procedure?

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:18:44 PM »
I'm embarrassed to say this is the first I've heard of this service requirement. Other than lifting the front end of the bike, what's involved in the packing procedure?

I'm affraid to admit I have never done this, my dealer takes care of maintenance during the warranty period.
However by coincidence I found out the bearings needed tightening.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
But I'm thinking of fitting a grease nipple to ease the job.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
After viewing a couple of YouTube videos on packing steering head bearings, I'm not sure a grease fitting will do the job. Absent a tool that forces the grease into the bearings, most people put a big gob on the palm of one hand and press the lower side of the bearing into the gob, rotating the bearing, repeating until the grease appears to ooze out the top of the bearing.

So I'm not sure that merely squirting grease into a Zerk fitting would really "pack" the bearing, but would probably just force the grease up into the steering tube between the upper and lower bearings where it wouldn't do much good.

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »
After viewing a couple of YouTube videos on packing steering head bearings, I'm not sure a grease fitting will do the job. Absent a tool that forces the grease into the bearings, most people put a big gob on the palm of one hand and press the lower side of the bearing into the gob, rotating the bearing, repeating until the grease appears to ooze out the top of the bearing.

So I'm not sure that merely squirting grease into a Zerk fitting would really "pack" the bearing, but would probably just force the grease up into the steering tube between the upper and lower bearings where it wouldn't do much good.

Well, a grease gun will apply enough force...
But I'll have to check first if there is no direct entry to the the frame tubes, or I'll be filling up the frame  ::)
Usually you will squirt in the grease untill clean grease exits the bearing seals
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
Ah, I gotcha now! Yes, filling up the entire frame could adversely affect handling! ::)