Author Topic: Waterproofing the console  (Read 495 times)

FreepZ

  • Brammovangelist
  • *****
  • Posts: 776
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Waterproofing the console
« on: December 02, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »
Has anybody else had problems with condensation in their console/dash/tachometer (what are we calling that thing anyway?)
If so, what are recommended solutions for preventing that from happening?

This is what vtbrammorider said about the issue:

I also had an issue with my speedo/tach assembly getting condensation in it.  I have since dried it and sealed it with silicone and haven't had any water ingress.

It's been a rather constant problem for me. Florida is very humid, and I can see how changing atmospheric pressure may cause humid air to get sucked into the console. I suspect that with the very heavy rain we get in Florida, some water may be seeping through the joint between the front and back parts of the console.
Initially I only saw the problem in the winter, where the cold temperatures cause the humidity in the console to condense. It got so bad that I couldn't read the LCD, and Brammo actually replaced the console for me.
The new console worked great for a long time, but after I got it back from the dealership (they were fixing a oil leak), the console had very heavy condensation is it (to the point that there were pools of water at the bottom of the tachometer display), and now the tachometer and LCD have completely failed.

When I get another replacement console, I want to make sure that this one doesn't have any more problems, so I'm looking for advice as to the best way to seal it.

  • Do I just need to seal the joints, or should I seal the edge between the case and the plastic windows?
  • What should I use? Tape? Silicone?
  • Are the buttons well sealed enough?
  • Do I need to leave some holes to allow for atmospheric changes? If so, then how to I prevent the console "breathing in" the humidity?
  • How well sealed is the connector?

Richard #935 #595 #44

kingcharles

  • Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
  • *****
  • Posts: 537
    • View Profile
Waterproofing the console
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »
Had it since the beginning, the dash was even replaced once but after the first rain it came back.
It is not bothering me much as it is only blocking visibility on some days.

Most days there is not a lot of condensation on the inside.

Sealing it is probably the best way to prevent water getting inside but using silicone also will make it hard to open again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:20:19 PM by kingcharles »
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

  • Brammovangelist
  • *****
  • Posts: 1242
    • View Profile
Re: Waterproofing the console
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
Silicone sounds good and I don't see why I'd want to open it, ever! If I did, wouldn't a sharp knife on the silicone bead do the trick?

I sealed my throttle housing with black vinyl electrical tape after moisture got in and caused a scary pattern of no throttle response from standstill, then immediate rear wheel burnout after gradually turning the grip to get going. Dried out the inside with compressed air, sprayed WD-40, and taped the sumbich! Works fine now.

After Brammo replaced the first dash unit with the revised 2014 model (different manufacturer), condensation rarely happens.

But what does happen is weird: then the air temp is above 90F and the sun shines on the unit, the tach needle gets stuck somewhere up in the range and doesn't zero out at stop. Once the unit cools, it operates normally. It's as if the tolerances on a brass bushing are too tight and the heat freezes things, but I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. ::)

vtbrammorider

  • Empulsive R2-D2
  • Enertia Master
  • ***
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waterproofing the console
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:20:56 AM »
I've had pretty good luck with my silicone fix.  If you dont feel like doing that though and find condensation in the display I suggest removing one of the screws in the back and letting it sit out in a hot dry environment.