Author Topic: Motor Cable Sleaves  (Read 1308 times)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Motor Cable Sleaves
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
I was eye balling my bike the other day and thinking about changing the motor cable sleeves with something more colorful like these : http://a.co/c9fOYIS (my bike needs more red).

Now looking at it, it should be as easy as just removing the motor cover and removing each cable of the terminal and sliding off the old and new one on. You guys think I should worry about pulling the High Voltage plug? In theory no electricity should be going threw those if the bike is off. Anyone else done this?

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Cable Sleaves
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
There's no voltage to the controller when the main contactor (from the battery side) is OFF. Even then, I'd just check the voltage at each lead with respect to each other. It should be just fine.

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »
There are 3 sleeve covered wires going to the motor and 2 going to the pack.  The OEM sleeves are split so they can be removed without taking anything apart.  If you want to cover all the wiring you need to disconnect the HV interlock connector at the front of the bike to protect you from the high voltage before you take the wires off the pack.  If just the 3 motor wires then yes, the power is off when the bike is turned off.  Remember when messing around with the wiring there is some high voltage supplied to the motor controller (used to wake up the controller) even when the bike is "off".

If you like orange (instead of red) you could remove the sleeves and tiewrap the wires so they aren't chaffing anything. Orange looks pretty cool and you could sort of preview what it might look like with the red sleeves before you disconnect anything.

RolfC

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:34:40 AM »
Littlefreak3000, thats a neat idea! Love to see pics how you placed them and of course the end result.
And indeed the bike needs more red!!  ;D
2014 Brammo Empulse-R

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »
Definitely will share all about it when I get around to attempting it. I'll measure the cables and order the sleeves this week and put them somewhere visible to make sure I get around to doing it lol. Once I have the sleeves it shouldn't take me long to put them on.

I'm running behind on projects. I still need to take pictures of my 3D printed license plate brackets for my Shapeways store. Plus I have a 3D printer kit sitting in a box I need to get set up.