Author Topic: Ultimate Motorcycling gives a good review  (Read 2447 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Ultimate Motorcycling gives a good review
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:54:24 PM »
Sounds like the Victory has less power than the Brammo Empulse R?
And maybe the new battery design has less heat dissipation capacity?
Once you go EV, gas is history!

katacrak

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ultimate Motorcycling gives a good review
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
The truth is, I expected more autonomy. I do not understand such a high price for a product that really does not improve above.

In my brammo empulse, if you go really fast constantly, in summer, only 20 kms you can reach temperatures above 45 ° C at the batteries, and therefore does not allow you to regenerate.

At finaly: "despite the enthusiastic energy put into battery technology—the Achilles’ heel to delivering on the promise — thus leaving electric bikes still feeling like a tease" very clear....Needless to research and develop more, to achieve a product that comes close to what the market wants to buy.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:49:46 PM »
"The two ride modes can be easily selected on the fly by holding down the starter switch."

This sentence left me wondering if Victory actually changed this function, or if it's just an error in reporting.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
"The two ride modes can be easily selected on the fly by holding down the starter switch."

This sentence left me wondering if Victory actually changed this function, or if it's just an error in reporting.
Isn't that is already possible on the original Empulse.
Do you have the latest software installed?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
I think I have the latest software, but mode selection is possible only when the bike is stationary, not "on the fly".

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
I think I have the latest software, but mode selection is possible only when the bike is stationary, not "on the fly".
V2.07 allows changing between modes while rolling.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:40:15 PM »
Good to know; thanks!

I'm running v2.06 so I guess I have to wait until the nearest Victory dealer gets up to speed. Or maybe they are, as I haven't checked in a couple of months. When I last called looking for a part, the response was pretty much like, "Whaaaa?"

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »
For a point of comparison, here's the 2015 Zero SR review:
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/08/10/2015-zero-sr-zf12-5-power-tank-review/

Running on the freeway at rush hour, mixing high speeds and lane-splitting, the SR +PowerTank delivered about 100 miles from a full charge—well short of the claimed 125-mile range. I was most disappointed to find that I could not enjoy a spirited ride for the length of Mulholland Highway in the Santa Monica Mountains from the San Fernando Valley to the beach and back — a 61-mile round trip.

Unable to complete a 61 mile trip - on a bike Zero rates at 94 miles @ constant 70 mph - is a little disconcerting.

It'll be interesting to see if the next bike from Polaris/Victory has a transmission.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
The Storm touring bike of the Dutch University of Eindhoven has a two speed gearbox and 0 loss in one of the gear ratio's.

I  think thats the way to go for a heavy cruiser which I expect the Charger to be.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »
Unable to complete a 61 mile trip - on a bike Zero rates at 94 miles @ constant 70 mph - is a little disconcerting.

It'll be interesting to see if the next bike from Polaris/Victory has a transmission.

The author managed to overheat the battery enough to disable regen.  I am thinking that her spirited riding is significantly faster than mine which I generally try to keep within 10 mph of the speed limit.  My 2014 Empluse R gets me a 60 mile round trip to the Rock Store on Mullholland with between 15% and 23% of my battery left, depending on how spirited I am riding.  The routes I usually take are not exactly the same, but the roads are very similar.  Going flat out on the straits would likely consume my battery at a much faster rate.

She may note be familiar with Plugshare.com either as there are public charging stations at both ends and one right in the middle of Mullholland where she was riding.  Granted it is less than ideal to have to stop at the beach for an hour during your ride, but in this case, it is a viable option.

benswing

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 12:23:20 AM »

For a point of comparison, here's the 2015 Zero SR review:
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/08/10/2015-zero-sr-zf12-5-power-tank-review/

Running on the freeway at rush hour, mixing high speeds and lane-splitting, the SR +PowerTank delivered about 100 miles from a full charge—well short of the claimed 125-mile range. I was most disappointed to find that I could not enjoy a spirited ride for the length of Mulholland Highway in the Santa Monica Mountains from the San Fernando Valley to the beach and back — a 61-mile round trip.

It sounds like the 61 miles was in addition to the 39 miles they had already put on the odometer during that session.  They must have been traveling faster than 60mph on average and really throttling it down Mulholland to get 100 miles instead of 125.

As we already know, you get used to the range differences pretty quickly and how it responds to speed, temperature, and weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 12:57:05 AM »
Are you inferring the 39 additional mile number from the "about 100 miles from a full charge" quote?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

benswing

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 03:58:01 PM »
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk