Author Topic: Upright Riding Position Option For Empulse?  (Read 6286 times)

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
Upright Riding Position Option For Empulse?
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
There have been a couple of brief posts in the other Empluse threads about this subject but they were in threads that were about other issues as well or veered off into other topics.

So I thought I'm make one that was dedicated to this single issue.

I indicated that I wanted an Enertia with the Empluse range and being liquid cooled (instead of the sometimes loud fan) because of my medical need from a neck surgery to be in an upright position and for visibility, both for me to see and to be seen.

Phanton made a comment that there was going to be an option for an upright riding position on the Empulse.

This is great news for me, and if it is the case, I'm ready to place my order for an Empluse 8.0.

I also think that the bike would be more attractive to law enforcement departments if it had the ability to have an upright riding position. Most, not all, but most police departments use motorcycles that have the rider sitting up as opposed to the more Ninja style bikes.

The main reasons are:

Comfort: It's hard to ride hunched over with your head at an unnatural angle for 8 to 10 hours a day.

Safety and control of the bike: An upright riding position makes a bike easier to control at lower speeds in a city environment, and gives the ability to get the riders feet on the ground faster because they stop and start more often than most riders.

Visibility: Being seen and the ability of the rider to see ahead and around easier which is important to a person whose job in a major way relies on observations.

Many of these reasons also apply to me and I think many other riders that want to have a nice cruiser feeling as opposed to racing from one stop light to the next or zooming mountain roads, which I know is a lot of fun.

So, anybody have thoughts on how they might achieve an upright position, how upright are we talking, and any confirmation of this possibility?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:59:09 PM by Kelly »

Shane

• View Profile
    • Full Empulse
    • Email
Re: Upright Riding Position Option For Empulse?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »
Hey Kelly,

I responded to your making this point on another thread, but as long as I am here.....

I think the designer(s) of the Empulse made a good decision in releasing the prototype with as race inspiring a setup as possible for two reasons: 1) it keeps the silhouette cleaner, which is great visually, and bikes often sell on looks alone (after all, all of us pre-ordering are buying based on a photo, a few specs, and Brammo's reputation, right?).  2) Like it or not, sport-oriented bikes outperform more 'standard' models on the sales floor.  I've seen models come and go that were incredible bikes but lacked consumer appeal because most sales were driven by young men wanting to pose as racers, or mid-life-crisis-feeding guys who need a Harley or equivalent to re-establish a sense of manhood.  So the great bike that does it all but doesn't look the part just doesn't sell.

In truth it would surprise me if Brammo didn't offer it will the lower handlebars.  You run a big risk changing major design elements like that when people have pre-ordered with an expectation of getting what they originally saw in photos.  That might change if enough people ordering listed a desire for a higher bar, but I think that might only lead to the high bar as an option.  Of course, that would work for you.

But I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If Brammo doesn't offer a higher bar option, the aftermarket will.  You can already find bar risers online.  You may also have to swap out the brake line and add an extension to the throttle cabling, but that's what the aftermarket is for: filling a need.

So to answer your question about as to how high an upright riding position can be achieved, the answer is, assuming a throttle cable extension can be easily acquired (the bars and brake cable are standard aftermarket fare these days) you can have any riding position you want.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. The one part that makes me a bit skeptical that the same seating angle or upright like position can be achieved on Empulse is the distance between the seat and the foot pegs and also the position of the foot pegs and brake.

Looks like the pegs and brake are back farther and even if one were to extend the handle bar to sit up more the bottom half of your body would have to still be in the crouched, legs bent and tucked under you riding position in order to get your feet back far enough to be on the brake and peg.

Unless they have two models of the Empulse, which I don't see them doing, I don't see how the upright position is going to be achieved. At least not a position that is equal to the Enertia.

Even if the mods that you suggest give it somewhat of a more upright position, I also don't see police departments making those mods or using this bike.

But it is early yet and most of this is still speculation so who knows what will happen. I still hope they bring the Empulse battery and liquid cooled motor to to Enertia.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:10:40 PM »
It is my understanding that the footpeg placement and handlebar style and height will be optional based on which style you choose. I also read this online or watched a video when it was mentioned. I have been trying to re-confirm my source, but I have not found it yet.

Worst case, it is a third-party modification like Shane had mentioned.

I would also choose an upright position for my Empulse, not for a medical reason, but for comfort and greater road visibility.

Shane

• View Profile
    • Full Empulse
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:15:39 PM »
Below is an image of the left side of the Empulse, blown up, and with a circle to indicate the area I am referencing.  There are several aligned holes that clearly indicate the range of adjustablility of the footpegs on the current Empulse model.  It isn't much, but it is adjustable.  On the Empulse, there is no gear change linkage to worry about on the left side, and the brake lever is affixed to a hydraulic cylinder for the brakes, which is mounted on the footpeg assembly and only connects to the bike via a flexible, rubber hose.  So in theory the footpegs could be moved somewhere else, with a longer hose and the right brackets.  Perhaps down by where the kick stand is connected?

(I think) Most police departments choose bikes by establishing specs and putting it out to bid.  If Brammo was interested, they could submit a bid with mods to accommodate the police's needs.  But the Empulse is to slow and has to limited range to be a pursuit vehicle, and for community policing the Enertia is much better, what with its upright position and all.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:18:29 AM »
It is my understanding that the footpeg placement and handlebar style and height will be optional based on which style you choose. I also read this online or watched a video when it was mentioned. I have been trying to re-confirm my source, but I have not found it yet.

Would be very interested in the source you are trying to recall. I can grasp the handlebar height issue with after market item sand even the potential to place the footpeg in a different place on the left by the buyer, but the footpeg on the right seems to be dictated by the brake pedal and that does not seem like it would be a matter of being able to be moved in any easy way by the operator.

So, if they have different configuration options at time of order, then this is what seems to be the best solution to a more comfortable upright riding position.

The only question is, how do we get confirmation that this is going to be the case? Should not be any secret since the design and a lot of the information is already out there.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 12:15:31 AM »
Yes, It's looking like the production bike will have a low rise, full width, triple clamp mounted handlebar much like the Enertia's.  The riding position will be more aggressive than that of the Enertia, but not so much so as the model shown in the photos with clip-ons.  We will make the clip-ons an available accessory for those looking for the total cafe racer look!  Look for photos in the coming weeks for a sneak preview of this configuration on the bike...

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 06:43:23 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what the new photos show.

Sounds like the Empulse is going to be coming stock in a configuration between upright Enertia and low rise racer. Appears that for those of us that need or want to have the comfortable upright position for riding we're going to have to stick with the Enertia and hope that it gets battery and liquid cooled technology transferred over to it in a new model someday.

lienly

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:06:32 AM »
I prefer Harley style riding position to racing bike style riding position.
hope Brammo can offer both as an option...

Hey Kelly,

I responded to your making this point on another thread, but as long as I am here.....

I think the designer(s) of the Empulse made a good decision in releasing the prototype with as race inspiring a setup as possible for two reasons: 1) it keeps the silhouette cleaner, which is great visually, and bikes often sell on looks alone (after all, all of us pre-ordering are buying based on a photo, a few specs, and Brammo's reputation, right?).  2) Like it or not, sport-oriented bikes outperform more 'standard' models on the sales floor.  I've seen models come and go that were incredible bikes but lacked consumer appeal because most sales were driven by young men wanting to pose as racers, or mid-life-crisis-feeding guys who need a Harley or equivalent to re-establish a sense of manhood.  So the great bike that does it all but doesn't look the part just doesn't sell.

In truth it would surprise me if Brammo didn't offer it will the lower handlebars.  You run a big risk changing major design elements like that when people have pre-ordered with an expectation of getting what they originally saw in photos.  That might change if enough people ordering listed a desire for a higher bar, but I think that might only lead to the high bar as an option.  Of course, that would work for you.

But I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If Brammo doesn't offer a higher bar option, the aftermarket will.  You can already find bar risers online.  You may also have to swap out the brake line and add an extension to the throttle cabling, but that's what the aftermarket is for: filling a need.

So to answer your question about as to how high an upright riding position can be achieved, the answer is, assuming a throttle cable extension can be easily acquired (the bars and brake cable are standard aftermarket fare these days) you can have any riding position you want.
hope can be Brammo Taiwan exclusive agent!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »
Anybody with the Photoshop skillz to shop an empulse with bars similar, but a bit lower, than the enertia?

I still prefer the enertia body and seat position (maybe a bit more bench to have a second rider at times), and I'm hoping for an enertia with a empulse 6.0 pack...but I wouldn't mind an empulse if it had a higher bar and such...

I guess I just prefer to ride like I'm taking a dump vs riding like I'm trying to screw the tank...

:)

Gavin

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
I guess I just prefer to ride like I'm taking a dump vs riding like I'm trying to screw the tank...

Being a former politician, I'm rarely left at a lack of words, but I must admit you've stumped me with that one.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »
Ha...sorry...

My motorcycle friends who ride "real" bikes tell me that scooter riders sit like they are on the toliet...I replied back that it was better than sports bike riders who look like the are attempting to impregnate their gas tanks...they didn't bug me about my riding style since :)

Of course I also rag on my "real" bike friends as their bikes go away for the winter and I'm still out riding my scooter in snow or ice or single digit temps...wimps :)

but Having riding options is always good...

Gavin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:58:11 PM by Gavin »

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
We all have colorful ways of expressing ourselves ;)

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 01:25:17 AM »
Nooooooo. The standard model should be a real sport bike. You can let the customers who want it less sporty change out the bars and anything else with options, if you must. Or Brammo can just make a better performing enertia for these non sport riders.   :'(

There have been a couple of brief posts in the other Empluse threads about this subject but they were in threads that were about other issues as well or veered off into other topics.

So I thought I'm make one that was dedicated to this single issue.

I indicated that I wanted an Enertia with the Empluse range and being liquid cooled (instead of the sometimes loud fan) because of my medical need from a neck surgery to be in an upright position and for visibility, both for me to see and to be seen.

Phanton made a comment that there was going to be an option for an upright riding position on the Empulse.

This is great news for me, and if it is the case, I'm ready to place my order for an Empluse 8.0.

I also think that the bike would be more attractive to law enforcement departments if it had the ability to have an upright riding position. Most, not all, but most police departments use motorcycles that have the rider sitting up as opposed to the more Ninja style bikes.

The main reasons are:

Comfort: It's hard to ride hunched over with your head at an unnatural angle for 8 to 10 hours a day.

Safety and control of the bike: An upright riding position makes a bike easier to control at lower speeds in a city environment, and gives the ability to get the riders feet on the ground faster because they stop and start more often than most riders.

Visibility: Being seen and the ability of the rider to see ahead and around easier which is important to a person whose job in a major way relies on observations.

Many of these reasons also apply to me and I think many other riders that want to have a nice cruiser feeling as opposed to racing from one stop light to the next or zooming mountain roads, which I know is a lot of fun.

So, anybody have thoughts on how they might achieve an upright position, how upright are we talking, and any confirmation of this possibility?

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 12:08:37 PM »
My vote is for an upright riding position, but the more options for adjusting the position of the bars and footpegs the better.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.