Author Topic: Empulse White Noise Racer  (Read 6382 times)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse White Noise Racer
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 03:13:02 AM »
Would that oil help with riding in very cold conditions?
The stock oil takes a long time to get flowing smoothly in winter time from my experience.
My bike is always outside so in winter  the gearbox takes some time to warm up.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: Empulse White Noise Racer
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
Would that oil help with riding in very cold conditions?
The stock oil takes a long time to get flowing smoothly in winter time from my experience.
My bike is always outside so in winter  the gearbox takes some time to warm up.

No, I don't think the GearSaver would help with this. If anything, you've reminded me that I should probably warm this gearbox up before I run her on the track for the same reason.  You know you've created a race bike when the thing becomes a P.I.T.A. to maintain...  ::)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
Charging was successful using the Manzanita Micro PFC-40 off-board charger! I was able to dial in the correct top of charge voltage and watch the SOC climb from 86% to 100%.  I can definitely charge faster (i.e. provide more current) than the capabilities of the stock on-board charger even at Level 2, but the cables running to the battery aren't rated for much more than the system they were designed for could provide, so I intend to keep the charge rate right around 28-30A, or 3kW actual power into the batteries.  Still, this should improve turn-around time at the track after practices and allow me some more flexibility for charging locations.  One of the worst things to be dealing with between sessions or before a race is trying to find a place to charge. 

Here is the little dongle that connects the charge cable connector on the bike to the Anderson SB 50 connector on the output of the Manzanita.  I replaced the Anderson Power-Pole connection on the bike with a two-pin Deutche connector that's now used in production.  It's just a better connector all around. The Manzanita is plugged in a 220Vac / 30A outlet similar to what you find at tracks for RV electrical hook-ups. 

And here's a shot of the Manzanita on the seat.  The dongle is fairly short, so I may need to extend it as this is a bit precarious with the charger balancing on the back of the seat...

While this worked out well for me, I would just caution others that this would not be something you'd want to do if your bike was going to be used for street duty as well as you lose the convenience of "plug and play" J1772 charging. 

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »
Here's a look at the dyno chart in 3rd and 4th gears.

Nice wide "continuous power" region at the top of the curve is nice before power starts falling off dramatically.  The bike is geared with a 41T rear vs. the stock 38T.  This shifts the speed range per gear downward a bit, meaning I'll spend more time in the higher gears for faster tracks.  It will benefit rear wheel torque and provide better acceleration and drive off the corners, theoretically. 

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »
Do those wide power bands at the top correspond to 4000 to 6000 rpm?

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »
Here's the end result as it sits today... Waiting for the weather to clear to get a track test in!  ::)

Eventually, I'll need to get that front wheel painted white to match the rear...

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »
The bike is looking great, hope to see some action shots once you get it on the track.

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Empulse White Noise Racer
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 09:33:15 PM »
Nice Brian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 11:21:45 PM »
The bike is looking great, hope to see some action shots once you get it on the track.

Well... I did actually make it to the track this week, but I could only bring one bike, so I took my HVR bike instead. 

Here's a couple of fun videos from that test:

It was just nice to get out on a bike and shake the cobwebs off...  8)  Next time, I'll bring White Noise as well.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 06:25:56 AM »
Ooh, nice dash...  Want...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 11:23:13 AM »
Victory should have made the Empulse TT a High Voltage bike!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 06:27:53 PM »
Well... I've decided that 2 race bikes is one too many.  If anyone is interested in purchasing this electron powered speed demon to race in the eMoto series as an eSuperSport class bike, please PM me. 

There are several options that influence the pricing, so I'm not going to list a price here without determining which options a potential buyer would/would not want.  For instance, the Manzanita Micro charger... 

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 06:42:42 AM »
Its a bummer to hear after all that work you're parting with it, but damn who doesn't want a race bike built by the former(?) director of BRT? :D Nice build man.