Author Topic: D4 error  (Read 1211 times)

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
D4 error
« on: February 19, 2016, 01:09:26 AM »
I was riding along Pacific Coast Highway last Thursday when I get a D4 error and lost power to the motor.  Restarting the bike did not help so contacted Brammo as to were to take the bike.  I initially got the OK for Hollywood Electrics to fix the bike  :) but that was short lived when I got the sad news from Harlen on Tuesday that it had to be sent to Victory for repair  :( .  About a month ago, I unsuccessfully tried to order a part through Victory and their dealers, but their parts distribution was not in place yet.  Fortunately I was able to get the part directly from Brammo at that time, but Brammo is no longer supporting the bike.

The Victory dealer was finally able to look at the bike today and realized they have no manual, training, or diagnostic tools yet.   :'(  I tried to explain to the person on the phone about getting the diagnostic files off the USB drive sent off, but I don't think I was able to convey the concept as this is likely very different from how diagnostics are done on their V twins.  Unfortunately they are 60 miles away so I cannot just stop buy and pull the log files, nor would that likely move things any faster anyway.

I will call Victory in the morning, they will ask for my serial number which was not in their system last month, and is likely not in their system this month.  I hope I am wrong, but I suspect this will be a long painful process involving many frustrating phone calls before I have a working bike again.   :'( :'( :'(

The moral of this story is don't let your bike have any problems for a few more months while Victory is still sorting things out.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: D4 error
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:30:04 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear this news. Your story, unfortunately, does not reflect well on how this transition is being handled. To leave loyal customers stranded between companies is not a good way to retain them.

cybergodzilla

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
I called Indian Indian Motorcycles of OC & SoCal Motorcycles in Brea. Kept calling until they could service my Empulse; when they were ready, I even saw an Empulse R & 2 Victory TTs in the showroom. I think there will be more E-riders near the beach areas so I chose the Westminister location. =)
2014 Empulse =D
2014 CBR650F B-)
2014 CFR250L =O

kdbbramm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Chocula,

I feel and hear your pain. When I owned my Husqvarna dealership I had to wait for over 3 months for BMW to have their infrastructure including parts systems, customer database, warranty documentations and all necessary support channels in place before I was able to receive service and parts.

While not the same size and scope as that deal, this Victory/Brammo transition does require some time. I feel that part availability and dealer support is right around the corner if not already available but there is obviously a lot that has to happen before this transition is complete.

Again, I understand your frustration just know that once the ball is rolling you will likely receive better support than ever before. Please bare with your service dealer and understand that this is a new product for them and that they are also feeling frustration as I did when my customers wanted parts and service back in my Husqvarna days.

Thank you for your patience,
Brammo Customer Service

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:59:07 PM »
Today I had the bike moved to Indian Motorcycles of OC.  They can't look at it for almost a week, but that is still better than the other dealership that had yet to even pull the log files.  Thank you to Cybergodzilla for identifying a Victory dealership that some experience with our bikes.  Yesterday, I spoke with the management at the previous Victory dealership who made it clear they did not want to work on the bike and that it would be a long and painful process for everyone.  At least I am now finished dealing with them.

The most frustrating part of this is how Victory isolates information and insulates themselves from the customer, leaving you at the mercy of the dealership that their database shows as being closest to you. 

As Cybergodzilla has done, it is time to start vetting the service departments of your Victory dealerships.  Having this done before you need them is much better than trying to figure this out while you are stuck at the side of the road.  The previous dealership initially said they had an Empulse TT in the show room and that it would be no problem.  I should have asked their service department what issues they have resolved on a Brammo so far, what it took to resolve them, how long, etc.

Another good thing to do would be to call Motorcycle Towing Services 800-999-7064 and confirm your bike is registered in their system.  That was another rude awakening to get at the side of the road.

cybergodzilla

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »
You are welcome. Hope they get you back on the road soon =Þ
Cyber
2014 Empulse =D
2014 CBR650F B-)
2014 CFR250L =O

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:53:32 AM »
Another good thing to do would be to call Motorcycle Towing Services 800-999-7064 and confirm your bike is registered in their system.  That was another rude awakening to get at the side of the road.

Yep, I got that rude awakening. Joined AMA and towing is one of their services.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
Quick update, 30 days in the shop so far.  I am told a couple of wires were fried and have been repaired, but the bike is still broken.  Many frustrating phone calls but progress has been elusive.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
Chris an Indian Motorcycle of Orange County has been great to work with, and I know they faced some logistical challenges.

I can only speculate as to why it could not be fixed, but in the end, Victory stepped up and replaced the bike with a new Empulse TT.

Ashveratu

• Electrified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
I am suddenly hoping that mine gets the error of D4. Very nice Chocula, I hope you are enjoying the new ride.
2012 Zero S.......returned to Zero for a full refund after one year of problems

2014 Empulse going strong