Author Topic: Preparing bike for first ride since my accident.  (Read 877 times)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Preparing bike for first ride since my accident.
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
So I've been getting my bike ready for when spring rolls around and I take it back out. It has been sitting since Feb 2015 when I took a spill and broke my leg. Can anyone thing of anything beside chain lube, chain tension, and an oil change that should be done before getting back on it again since it's been sitting for so long?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Preparing bike for first ride since my accident.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 03:25:41 PM »
I'm sure you meant to include this, but tire pressure is one of those must-check items. Maybe brake fluid - also a few practice panic stops to make sure brake pressure is still good.

(Calling Richard230 - I bet you have some things to add!)

Glad to hear you're healed up and getting ready to saddle up.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

vtbrammorider

• Empulsive R2-D2
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 08:02:51 AM »
Also the obvious charge and balance the batteries and looking for anything that took up residence in the nooks and crannies.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 10:17:40 AM »
Tire pressure is checked regularly anyways didn't think to include it on the list. Didn't think about brake fluid tho. Emergency stop practice is first on my list. Gotta get comfortable on it again.

Bike has been plugged in since I got it back from the dealer. So I assume that has kept the batteries in good order. Not taking it far for the first few charges anyway.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »
If it was me, I would also change the transmission oil. I doubt the transmission gets hot enough to dry out any condensation that has built up in the transmission due to humidly and changes in ambient temperature over time while the bike has been sitting. (That is why owners of IC motorcycles should completely fill their gas tanks to reduce condensation when the bikes are stored.)

I would ride the bike for a few miles to splash the oil around the inside of the transmission case to hopefully emulsify the moisture into the oil before it is changed.

You might also want to lubricate any cables and lube all pivots on the bike. Good luck getting back on the road and take it easy until you get your riding "legs" under you again.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »
Thanks for chiming in, Richard. You always have good ideas.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Preparing bike for first ride since my accident.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »
Do the wine and cheese ride. Nobody on the road, sunny and perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.