Author Topic: Reflective wheel tape mod  (Read 7845 times)

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Reflective wheel tape mod
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
That is cool!  Was it hard to install?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
That is cool!  Was it hard to install?

Harder than just putting on the tape, but not really difficult: Bolting on the 4 aluminum brackets than support the LED's and zip tying the wiring into the 12V system (I already had a fuse block installed). The brackets are easy to bend in order to get the distance between the LED's and the rims just right. The kit also includes a push-button switch mounted to the handlebars for turning the lights on and off.

I was convinced to install them, not so much for their "cool" factor, but by a YouTube video that shows a bike crossing an intersection a block away at night. You can instantly recognize that what is passing is a two-wheeled vehicle. But they ARE cool and get lots of comments at night by cars that pull up along side me.

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 11:24:05 PM »
How did you wire them in - power and ground?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 01:21:05 AM »
If I understand your question correctly: Did I use a hot wire and a ground-to-frame?

No, I've always preferred to use a 2-conductor connection to the + and - posts on the battery, or, in this case, to the 12V tap supplied by Brammo as part of the OEM wiring harness.

I just ran 2-conductor from that tap to a fuse block that has positive and negative connectors. My preference is this one:

http://www.centechwire.com/Auxiliary-Power-Fuse-Panel-AP-1.htm

I zip tied it behind the front shroud, just above the radiator. The connections are small screws that mash down on the wires very securely. I've used them on 3 different bikes and never had one malfunction in any way.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:23:22 AM by Shinysideup »

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »
If I understand your question correctly: Did I use a hot wire and a ground-to-frame?

No, I've always preferred to use a 2-conductor connection to the + and - posts on the battery, or, in this case, to the 12V tap supplied by Brammo as part of the OEM wiring harness.

I just ran 2-conductor from that tap to a fuse block that has positive and negative connectors. My preference is this one:

http://www.centechwire.com/Auxiliary-Power-Fuse-Panel-AP-1.htm

I zip tied it behind the front shroud, just above the radiator. The connections are small screws that mash down on the wires very securely. I've used them on 3 different bikes and never had one malfunction in any way.

That fuse panel looks cool and useful.  Sorry but I am still confused on how and where you wired the fuse panel on your bike. thanks

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »
Sorry but I am still confused on how and where you wired the fuse panel on your bike. thanks

First find the 12V tap which is a wire with a white connector that comes out from under the "gas tank" near the front right of the bike, after removing the plastic radiator panel at the very front and the front right panel.

I cut the connector off connected an extension 2-conductor wire by using solder and shrink tubing.

I made the distal end of that wire terminate in two ring connectors which I fastened to the fuse block, after verifying their polarity with my multi-meter.

Then I fastened the fuse block to something handy (can't remember what), with zip ties (plastic wire tie wraps). I tucked it in a handy space just above the radiator where it's relatively out of the weather behind the front plastic panel.

Hope that helps...