Brammo Empulse Discussion > Brammo Empulse

B55 Error, SOC Mismatch >30%

(1/6) > >>

00049 (AKA SopFu):
This error popped up on my ride today. Module 6 does not appear to be discharging. I had two 10 mile trips today (out and back), and it looks like it stopped about half way during the first ride as I pulled onto the interstate (20kw power output for about 5 minutes or so), with about 90%. By the time I got home, it had dropped to about 85%, while the rest of the pack was down to about 60%.

It looks like the battery started acting up on my ride home from work on Friday, but not enough to trigger the error. I pulled a couple other logs, and it otherwise appears to be normal, so this is a new problem.

Here's the log from Friday:

Here's the log going out today:

Here's the log coming home today:

To add some more context, I didn't ride the bike at all from early May last year until the end of February (broken back, then broken arm...). It was stored the hole time with SOC over 90%, and I did do a couple of top-off charges throughout the storage period, but generally it was left unplugged. Since I started riding I have ran it down to 5% and then let it it balance for about 36 hours, and have brought it down below 20% a about three times.

Has this happened to anyone else? What was the cause and the solution?

frodus:
Leave it plugged in to balance those batteries

What program is that?

00049 (AKA SopFu):
The program is "Enspector" which someone on the forum created.

Do you think it's a balance issue? They were balanced at the start.

00049 (AKA SopFu):
This has been the weirdest charging session I've experienced. To start, it appeared to be charging at 0 amps, with the fan blowing on the charger. It went up to about 66%, but since it did not appear to be charging, I unplugged and replugged in the EVSE. Fan turned right back on, but still at 0 amps. So I let it sit. When I went to bed ~8 hours later it was still showing 0 amps, but the display was showing ~85% SOC. I unplugged again, and replugged and it and it went to 99%. I let it sit all night. In the morning it was down to 96%.  After getting ready for work it had fallen to 95%. It's still being charged now as I decided to drive in rather than risk driving home with an extremely unbalanced pack. The B55 error did display for a while, but went away during the charge session (I think even when the SOC was sitting at 66%).

I wonder if this is the cell balancing working. Is it taking charge from the full module and transmitting to the empty modules, with no charge coming from the charger? I suppose it's better to have a balanced battery at a low SOC than a battery that appears full, in case the bike is taken for a ride. But why is the SOC jumping around? I'd be curious to see how the anomaly in module 6 is effecting the assumed SOC.

frodus:

--- Quote from: 00049 (AKA SopFu) on March 20, 2016, 03:32:04 PM ---The program is "Enspector" which someone on the forum created.

Do you think it's a balance issue? They were balanced at the start.

--- End quote ---

Yes I do. It doesn't matter that months ago they were balanced, you let it sit and the batteries have a very slight self-discharge. Looks like one is higher than the rest. Also, they're balanced within a percentage of eachother, and after time they will go slightly out of balance.

Leave it plugged in, and the balancers will do their jobs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version