Author Topic: B55 Error, SOC Mismatch >30%  (Read 1197 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: B55 Error, SOC Mismatch >30%
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
Since new, I've always gotten the stutter when summoning WOT power at about 30% SOC or less. Brammo explained it to me as the protective circuit doing its job when individual cells get too lower on voltage.

Lately (4 years and 41K miles), I've seen the "Recharge Now" and blinky green lights with zero SOC come on as high as 50% SOC when going to WOT at 60 mph in 58F weather. This used to happen around 10% SOC, then 20%, 30% etc.

Nothing has cut off, so I just note the mileage (I reset trip meter to zero after each charge) and know that I can make it home on zero SOC, based on my conservative estimate of 65 miles of range available.

Having all the green lights flashing at me on the freeway in the dark at night in the cold isn't very comforting. I wish I knew a way to address this issue. Long-term cell balancing doesn't seem to help.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
Are your batteries under warranty?

Maybe go into the advanced menu on the LCD, and see what cell is too low. It might be one cell that is going lower than the others, despite balancing.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
Wow, that's crazy that the packs seem to be struggling as they age. Mine has just over 20k miles, and was delivered to me in February 2013. I'd have more miles, but two fully riding seasons were cut out thanks to injury, and then the bike sitting at the dealer for a summer.

I am pretty aware of battery maintenance fundamentals. I used to work in the Navy's battery program (I got to terminate the contract for the ASDS battery after that Li Ion burned down the $3B sub) and now I work at Argonne National Lab, DOE's lead battery lab (home of Michael Thackeray and Khalil Amine, among others). I'm no scientist or engineer, but I have gotten to interact with some of the world's smartest minds in batteries in both research and applied settings. I currently authorize work for private companies who want to use Argonne to solve their problems which means I see the problems battery companies are having. In other words, I'm not abusing the batteries beyond riding in normal conditions for Chicago.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the Chinese cells used in our packs did not have the most consistent build quality. I wonder if Polaris even knows how to check for good cells? I hope the bad module gets replaced, in any case!
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »
This is just speculation, I have a 2013 zero and the cells used were the farasis 25 ah, brammo was apparently using the exact same cells, my battery was recalled and replaced under warranty due to manufacturing deficiencies , could it be that some brammos have the same batches of batteries zero received but since they have abandoned their bikes they havenít bothered with trying to rectify the situation?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 03:31:28 AM »
This is an interesting speculation.

Legally, does anyone here definitively know if Polaris, who took over the assets and liabilities of Brammo, have ANY obligation to Brammo owners as far as honoring the battery warranty?

siai47

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
Most likely, Polaris didn't buy all assets and liabilities of Brammo.  We know Brammo still existed until recently.  Polaris bought just the motorcycle assets---liabilities from Brammo produced motorcycles would have stayed with Brammo.  Now that Brammo has been sold to Cummins, you have just slipped another notch down the Totem pole in ability to get anything out of Brammo.  Heck, Polaris won't even take care of their Victory Empulse customers let alone Brammo customers.  Best chance is to find a "parts" bike and take the battery components you need out of it.  I have a feeling that the first time something breaks on my Victory, it is going to be hung above my TV in my living room as "wall art"  ;)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
The battery is still under warranty, no question there.

Unfortunately the dealer couldn't get Victory to budge on replacing the module causing the errors. Victory told them to do a full discharge and recharge, and said the problem would go away. They did, and sure enough, all the cells were balanced according to the BMS. The dealer wasn't impressed with Victory's response, but there isn't anything else they can do.

I'll be picking the bike up sometime next week. I hope I can make it the 42 miles home now that it's colder. Especially considering I couldn't make it there...
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL