Author Topic: Battery life? How long has your Brammo Enertia batteries lasted?  (Read 4235 times)

Coolbreezz

• View Profile
Battery life? How long has your Brammo Enertia batteries lasted?
« on: February 26, 2016, 02:12:20 AM »
So I did some searching and couldn't find anything about how long people's batteries are lasting on their Brammo Enertia? Or the plus model for that matter. So it made me wonder  ::)I mean when you pay thousands of dollars for something you expect it to last at least for a little while rite?So I'm wondering how long did your batteries  last? Are they still going strong,Or did you end up taking it in the pocketbook?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Battery life? How long has your Brammo Enertia batteries lasted?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:16:03 AM »
I've had my 2010 Enertia since June 2010. I've got about 7k miles on it. I think there may be about a 5% dip storage, but it's hard to notice sometimes.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Coolbreezz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
Thanks for the response brammofan. I purchased my brammo last year from motoprimo dealership in mn. It had the batteries replaced under warranty. I purchased it with 2 miles on it. I now have 700. I've built a couple mid drive electric bikes myself and am familiar with most of the parts used in making an electric bike though I built my battery packs out of lipo Since I already had experience with them from  RC building . Hopefully this will help me maintain this bike in the long run fingers crossed. I look forward to reading more people's responses on how their batteries have done over the years.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 03:52:33 PM »
In the off-season, I turn on the charging about every two or three weeks, and let it balance overnight.  I think this contributes to battery health and longevity (based on advice found here on the forum and from talking with Brammo techs.)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:47 PM »
I don't have an Enertia, rather an Empulse. But batteries are batteries, sort of...

Since I do the same commute 5 days a week, I have a pretty good feel for the pack's range and any noticeable degradation over time, though I no longer track anything in the pretty spreadsheet I made when I first got the bike.

My seat-o-pants benchmark is to check how many miles are on the trip meter when the state of charge shows 50% remaining. This is almost always right around 35 miles with mixed freeway (50-80 mph) and city driving. My predominant mix is about 25 miles of freeway for the day and anywhere from 10 to 25 miles of city driving.

For the last 3 years and 31,000 miles I see no degradation at all.

My rough range limit, based on the above data, is a conservative 70 miles for mixed-use riding. 90 miles for hypermiling and surface streets; 55 miles for freeway blasting. These numbers haven't changed detectably over this mileage history, except, of course, for exceptionally cold or hot days. In the San Francisco area, surrounded by sea water, the temperatures are generally very even, usually somewhere from 60 to 70F, though I've seen 40F on some mornings and the upper 90's on rare occasions.

I ride at least 5 days a week and charge every night on 120V, with very occasional 240V public chargers used on longer trips.

Hope this helps a little.

Coolbreezz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:07:28 AM »
Good to no shinysideup . It's nice to know how the other models are performing also.5% isn't that bad for 7k brammofan

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Battery life? How long has your Brammo Enertia batteries lasted?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 06:24:33 AM »
The Enertia plus uses the same battery modules as the Empulse only one brick less if I am not mistaken.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
The Enertia plus uses the same battery modules as the Empulse only one brick less if I am not mistaken.

Same 10Ah Farasis cells but different layout, I think.

Empulse is 7 BPM15/90 modules in series, each module is 4s9p (14.8V 90Ah).

Enertia Plus is 2 BPM 44/70 modules in series, each module is 12s7p (44.4V 70Ah).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 06:58:48 PM »
Does anyone know what type of cells are in the battery?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
You mean the brand? I know they started off with Valence. Not sure about what the later years' Enertias used.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 02:18:45 AM »
The answer is in the post above yours...
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
Let's see... I bought my 2013 E+ with... I forget, 200 miles on it?  Dealer demo bike.  From day 1 it had charging problems, something with the charging circuit itself.  Brammo eventually got the right parts swapped out and it's been good ever since.

I'm now sitting around 1,300 miles (I bought it in TX, where I never rode much because the weather is awful, I'm now near Seattle and have more good riding days than TX, or I'd have many more, I assure you!).  I didn't ride over winter, and did plug it in a few times to bring the batteries up, and I tend to leave it on for at least a full day after hitting 100% for balancing.  Manual indicates that when High and Low pack values are more than 0.1v different then you've got a problem.  My H/L diff has always been 0.01, and now sometimes hovers around 0.011.  After charging, unplug, and I show 98% available.

My commute starts with a long downhill (but let's be real, regen on an E+ is more about mimicing compression braking than actually getting us power back) at 45 MPH (which is my final leg returning home).  Approaching the office I have a 40 MPH uphill that's about, I think, 1.2 miles long) and my initial leg leaving work).  Commute is all surface streets, a smidge over 15 miles, speeds vary from 25 to 45.  The bike will consume pretty much an ever 22% each direction.  While I can theoretically make 2 trips and have 'some' left over, it's really tight and I don't want to push it.  Plus, it's still typically in the 40s in the morning, cold enough that regen is disabled for half my ride, so I tend to plug it back in nightly mostly to keep that batteries warm for the next morning.  I've only been here a year, and if it rains I don't ride (mostly because people drive like crap) but I do plan on racking up more miles this year, as I'll be in the office more than I was last year.  We'll see how the batteries hold as the miles go up.