Author Topic: Dashboard issue  (Read 3631 times)

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
Dashboard issue
« on: January 18, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »
Last Friday, my beloved Enertia+ started acting up again. This time it's the dashboard. When it starts, all lights are on and the display is backlit (but not always with the all pixels on black as it should). Then after a few seconds, the dash looks like the picture below:

Note: this one was taken with the kickstand down so that indicator should be lit.

The bike rides like nothing's wrong, but after another while it will look like this:

That's everything OFF, including the green flashing leds on top. Except for the speedo needle.

Funny thing is, that earlier this fall, it was just the other way round (the speedo needle would be stuck on 0 while all other displays were working just fine).

It's kind of scary to ride the bike with no information whatsoever on SoC, motor temp, or possible error messages, but I do it anyway.

Any ideas? I suspect the cold (it's around freezing point here) and the fact that it seems not to be exactly waterproof, judging by the ever-present condensation behind the glass.

Another (related?) thing is that the horn also often doesn't work. But that started a longer time ago.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dashboard issue
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
Where are you located? It's probably going to be a Victory/Polaris thing.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
Check the connector, make sure it is not damaged, dirty, corroded or not connected all the way.

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:15:27 AM »
I've been riding my Enertia+ for a few days without a working dashboard. Sometimes the speed dial was the only thing working, other times it started alright but went off again after a few minutes. So I decided to take it off and open it, to try and drain all the water out of it.

Before I took it off, I tried it one last time and this time ALL lights came on, only the LCD stayed empty and the speed dial didn't move. And the lights never went off again. So something's definitely wrong with the electronics.

It was quite easy to screw it off and open it, and sure enough there was a lot of moisture inside:

I dried it all but that hasn't fixed it yet. I hope keeping the board inside for a while lets the remaining moisture evaporate.
If that doesn't help I'll need to get a replacement I'm afraid. But this one already was a replacement because the original dashboard was all fogged inside.
So whichever dashboard goes back on my bike, it will have to be thoroughly waterproofed first.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:19:59 AM by FrankH »

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:19:33 PM »
Place in a sealed container, covered in uncooked rice for a few days.  That is an excellent way to pull moisture out of electronic devices.

Hope you get it working!

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 12:17:50 AM »
keep us posted and good luck!

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 05:12:55 AM »
So, drying the dashboard's internals for a few days didn't help. The dashboard keeps failing, sometimes everything works for a minute, sometimes nothing lights up, and everything in between.
This morning I went to the dealership here in Amsterdam and they had an old Empulse dashboard laying around. That one worked fine with my Enertia+, it just has a different back plate for the dial (revs instead of speed) but the dial goes higher the faster I drive, and the screens on the LCD are just the same as on my own dashboard.

This means I can rule out my hunch that a bad connection is the cause of all this, it must be the electronics in the dash that were ruined by the moisture inside.
The bad news is that a new dashboard costs more than €500.  :o

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 02:33:38 AM »
Hello,
is the dashboard still not working? Is it possible disassemble the circular speed display plate separately?
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
Actually, my dashboard is still not really functioning right. My dealer fixed it by drying and cleaning it, originally. They fixed most of it except the speedo needle. Ever since I've been riding without knowing how fast I'm going, but that was effectively the only thing. The display (showing battery percentage and motor temperature, the only two really important numbers to keep an eye on) was working good enough, that is, a number of lines of the LCD were out but most of it was readable.
But after recent service at my local shop, they tried fixing the dash again and now the LCD is a total blank. It was full of water again, even though I hardly ever ride in rain and always park my bike in our parking garage.
So I'm looking for a replacement (the dealer is too). Haven't heard from them yet.

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
can't you just toss it in a bin and install one of those aftermarket panels like
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts
GPS Satellite controlled chain lubrication system
Top Case