Author Topic: The shaft  (Read 1425 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
The shaft
« on: February 15, 2016, 04:02:08 AM »
Changed my third tire (31K miles) and vowed, NEVER AGAIN will I struggle and curse trying to get the rear axle back through the maze of chain tensioner, swingarm, tensioner, wheel, brake holder, tensioner, frame, and tensioner, impeded by the stupid square-cut shoulder of the axle where the threaded portion joins the main shaft. It's almost as difficult as reading that long sentence!

So, I hauled out a chair into my garage, sat down, got comfortable, put on my eye-protecting goggles and proceeded to carefully grind off the square shoulder into a chamfer with my Dremel tool. It went pretty fast and looks almost like it was machined. I didn't even hit the threads once.

The reassembly went MUCH easier, with the shaft finding its way through so I can reinstall the nut without huge hassles. Not a big deal, but it doesn't take much to make me happy. ;D

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:35:19 PM »
Good modification!
I will try that too.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:26:41 AM »
Not that it's needed, but here's the photo:

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »
The photo is actually very helpful as I have not yet taken my rear wheel apart, but my tire is getting due for replacement.

Thanks for posting.
Chocula

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
Not that it's needed, but here's the photo:

While at my second bearing replacement at 23K, I  chamfered the shaft too, what a difference. This mod is certainly speeds up reassembly!
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case