Author Topic: Electrically-tinted motorcycle helmet face shield  (Read 554 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Electrically-tinted motorcycle helmet face shield
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
Here is a very detailed and informative review of the AMI Powersports Akari AX12 electric motorcycle helmet face shield tinting device.  Seems interesting, but the price is still a bit much and the tint needs to be darker.  Still, it is a great idea and one that will surely be developed further. As a future improvement I would like to see the system operated by an adjustable photoelectric cell:  http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/ami-akari-ax12-review/
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Electrically-tinted motorcycle helmet face shield
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 01:24:58 PM »
I've got a helmet that came with a photochromic shield. Although it doesn't appear that it gets dark enough (not as dark as the Schuberth flip-down internal shade, e.g.) I notice I'm not squinting and bright sun doesn't bother me at all.

Contrary to the article, which says that photochromic shields, once darkened by UV, do not return to clear until night, I have not found that to be the case. Sure, it doesn't lighten instantly like when I flip up my Schurberth shield entering tunnels, but it does lighten up for thick cloud cover. Much less $ and much less complexity that using electricity.

I like this quote in the article, as a vision toward the future:

"The promise of instant on/off tinting is definitely enticing and one can imagine that (hopefully) in the near future, the entire face shield would be a solar-powered on/off electrochromic device."

I think I'll wait for that generation.