Author Topic: Brammo's 5th Patent  (Read 2053 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brammo's 5th Patent
« on: May 17, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
Congratulations to Brammo and especially to Aaron Bland, the inventor, for this "adjustable squat" feature for an electric motorcycle.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=9340254&OS=9340254&RS=9340254
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Brammo's 5th Patent
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
Notice anything different besides the swing-arm and the obvious patent material?

like, the lack of a transmission?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »
Nice catch.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »
Notice anything different besides the swing-arm and the obvious patent material?

Huh? From the description:

" an electric motor with a transmission assembly including a pinion sprocket or pulley and a flexible transmission member engaged with the pinion sprocket or pulley for providing a motive force to the rear wheel;"

I never knew I even had a squat ratio, much less that I wanted to adjust it! In simple, practical terms, can someone on here dumb this patent description down for me to grasp what principles are involved and what advantages can accrue to the rider?

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Green Motorcycles - weblog
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »
I would like some explanation about 'adjustable squat'. Eg with a video.
The drawing is showing a different drivetrain.
Plug in - Hop on - Ride electric

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 04:24:31 PM »

Huh? From the description:

" an electric motor with a transmission assembly including a pinion sprocket or pulley and a flexible transmission member engaged with the pinion sprocket or pulley for providing a motive force to the rear wheel;"

I never knew I even had a squat ratio, much less that I wanted to adjust it! In simple, practical terms, can someone on here dumb this patent description down for me to grasp what principles are involved and what advantages can accrue to the rider?

What I mean, is the 6-speed is gone in that illustration. The drawing does show a gear reduction (sprocket isn't on the center shaft of the motor), but that doesn't mean it has the 6-speed intact.

Squat is basically how much the bike will squat when you give it throttle. This can effect handling quite drastically This is also heavily effected by where your drive sprocket is with relation to the wheel sprocket (in front of swingarm pivot, behind, above, below).

Looks like the motor is on an adjustable mechanical mount that can move, adjusting how much of an effect the drive motor has on the squat. Since the sprocket is behind the swing arm pivot, adjusting the position of the motor will adjust how far the bike will squat under load.

Look at figure 4, page 4. It alows adjustment of how the motor is mounted.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 06:35:04 AM »
After filing a number of patents, one learns not to add any details to a patent description that aren't vital to the invention itself, otherwise a competitor can implement your invention with that one detail omitted or changed and claim that they are not infringing.  I've sat in meetings with patent attorneys poring over every detail and making sure it was required for the invention.

If the transmission is not required for the squat mechanism then they should not show it in the drawings and probably shouldn't have mentioned it in the text.  The drawings in their patents have nothing to do with their actual products, they are theoretical mechanisms used solely to demonstrate the patent.

You should have seen the diagrams of a computer included in my software patents.  Nobody would build a computer like that, but it was the least specific way to describe the computer in which it was implemented...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650