Author Topic: Center stand  (Read 5004 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Center stand
« on: March 28, 2012, 06:44:59 AM »
The Enertia Plus will have an optional center stand, which is great for maintenance.

What I would like to know is, could I use something like this:

This kind of stand appeals to me as it's something that I would only use occasionally, and not having it on the bike would mean less dead weight.

On the other hand, I wonder how easy it would be to get the bike on that kind of stand? Is that something that I could do myself, or would I need help from somebody to steady the bike? (Looking for you tube videos to see if I can see a demo on how to use that kind of stand...)
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Center stand
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:33 AM »
So I found a video that explains how to use a bike stand without a helper:

That leads me to another question:
Does the Enertia (or the Empulse) have those "spools" on the swing arm? (I just checked my bike (a Ninja 500), and I don't see anything like that on there.)

If not, then how are then installed?

It looks like I wouldn't be able to use that "triple tree" stand on my Ninja, since the horn is directly under the hole where pin would fit. I don't think that it would work with the Enertia either since the horn is in the way there too (although it might).

Richard #935 #595 #44

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:04:04 AM »
Does the Enertia...have those "spools" on the swing arm?

No, but I use the one from the below thread without anyone to help me.

Link: http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=48.0

It can be a little tricky until you get used to it.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
http://brammo.com/store/stand/

brammo store sells this, so I assume it works with their bikes....

good point about less weight...at the same time I like a center stand to do work/repairs on the fly...but I guess with a commuter bike it doesn't matter as much.

Gavin

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »
I can't recall if the Enertia has a flat bottom under the chassis. But if it does, you could use the type of stand that lifts the bike from the bottom and raises the entire bike, including both wheels off of the ground, using a hydraulic piston or a mechanical screw or scissor apparatus. I think these types of stands are big with the Harley crowd.  I just ordered a Drag Specialties stand like that for my Zero. That seems like a much better way of getting the wheels off the ground than using front and rear race stands, such as are illustrated above.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »
I just received my Drag Specialties motorcycle lift that I bought from the Oregon-based Motorcycle Superstore. It cost $150 delivered to my home. Photos attached.

Note that both wheels are off the ground at the same time. That really makes it handy to perform a number of tasks on the chassis without having to jack up one end and then the other. It also makes it very easy to remove the front wheel and forks for servicing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:50:34 PM by Richard230 »
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
Here is a close-up.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Here is a photo showing the top of the lift, which is nicely coated with rubber to keep it from marring the bottom of the bike's belly pan. And a photo showing the stand collapsed, which makes it convenient to carry and store. When collapsed, it is very low, which makes it easy to shove under the bike before you lift it. I might add that you can use the stand to raise your bike without any additional help, which is something that I feel I need when using a shop stand and lifting the rear wheel from the rear of the bike, as you need to do using the red race stand shown in the original post.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:28:25 PM »
Being able to lift the whole bike up would indeed be useful, and that jack is a lot smaller than any stand I've seen so far.

I would be surprised if the Empulse could be supported that way. While it does have a flat base, it looks to me like that base is not all that strong. I thought that one of the design principals of the Brammo bike was to have a rigid battery frame that was the main load supporter and hang the battery and other components from that, rather than have an enclosing frame with the batteries inside it. I don't think that the battery controller can support the weight of the bike.

Is that plastic, or metal under there?

Also, I see from this image that there is a socket peeking out of the fairings on the Zero.

I would have thought that facing forwards like that would make it prone to getting dirt in there. Have you had any issues with that, or am I worrying about nothing?
Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »
The Zero belly pan appears to be aluminum (it is not magnetic) and constructed sturdy enough to be used with a stand that will support the entire bike. Plus, the level area of the pan is located so that the bike is balanced front-to-back when lifted at that location. The other thing I like about the Drag Specialties stand is that it has a flat surface that spreads the load over a wide area, compared with some other stands that use two parallel skid supports to lift the bike (such as the one that Cycle Gear has on sale this month for around $90).

My guess is that belly pan of the Empulse could probably handle lifting the entire bike using a stand like this that does not concentrate the load in any one area. Of course, the bike would need to be balanced front-to-back so that it would not tip when being lifted. When the Empulse finally arrives, no doubt BrammoBrian will be able to comment on how best to lift and support the bike for servicing.

You are correct about that charging cord port. I don't care for the location and would prefer to see it covered by a plastic door. I have the same comment about the charger LED inspection port on the other side of the front panel. It is open to water and debris. Since Zero uses this design on their dual-purpose version and does a lot of off-road testing, apparently the charger's operation is not affected by water and debris - but I still don't like it.  When I complained about the exposed charging port on another forum, a Zero employee saw my comment and sent me a dummy plug to cover the contacts of the charger connector, at no charge. That was a nice gesture and I use the dummy plug when I go riding.

Gerhard

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
Hier der Originale Mittelständer:

Gerhard

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 03:32:25 AM »
Hello Gerhard,
where can I buy this original center stand for Brammo Enertia+?
Thanks
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012