Author Topic: Probable battery condition on a leftover 2013 Enertia?  (Read 3091 times)

CasperO

• View Profile
    • Email
Probable battery condition on a leftover 2013 Enertia?
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
Hi gang, CasperO here from Athens Ohio.

Experienced rider and MSF coach considering buying an NOS Enertia Plus and looking for information about battery lifespan.

I've found a leftover bike at a dealer here in the region and I have questions.  It's a new-unsold 2013 Enertia plus.  I've done my research on the unit and I'm satisfied that a reasonably functional Enertia Plus will serve our local commuter needs pretty well.

My fear is that this thing has been sitting around for 3 years, maybe more.  It's my understanding that Lithium Ion batteries have a pretty tight shelf life, and this poor orphan is probably sitting there with 0 miles on the clock and needs a new battery pack, or at least the pack is in pretty bad shape.

SO - what's the guess here?  Is this thing going to need a hot cash injection right away?  Might I be Ok?  Are these packs even available any more?

Also - our nearest Indian dealer in in Columbus, and when I called them and asked about servicing the legacy Brammo products they really didn't seem to know what I was talking about.  They did helpfully reassure me (3 times) that if I came in and wrote a big check for a new Electro-Indian, they would service that.   ???

Looking forward to your replies.  Thank you,

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Probable battery condition on a leftover 2013 Enertia?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »
I'd make them plug it in and charge it for a full day and then see how the cells are balanced. You can see that by having the charging system running and then holding down the start button for about 8 seconds. I will have to check what the display on mine says when I get home (not a Plus) but you want to make sure that there is not a big difference between the highest cell and the lowest cell.
That is assuming there thing can still charge. And that it doesn't show an error code. If the existing voltage in the packs is too low, it won't start charging.

Sadly, getting new cells is kind of a problem. If have to defer to someone from Brammo or Polaris on that issue. They would not be cheap.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
I'd make them plug it in and charge it for a full day and then see how the cells are balanced. You can see that by having the charging system running and then holding down the start button for about 8 seconds. I will have to check what the display on mine says when I get home (not a Plus) but you want to make sure that there is not a big difference between the highest cell and the lowest cell.
That is assuming there thing can still charge. And that it doesn't show an error code. If the existing voltage in the packs is too low, it won't start charging.

Sadly, getting new cells is kind of a problem. If have to defer to someone from Brammo or Polaris on that issue. They would not be cheap.

On the E+, plug in and charge.  Key does not need to be in.  Hold down the black button on the dash for a few seconds and release.  This gives a more diagnostic display.  You'll see a high and low value (I believe marked H and L, on the 2nd? line of the display).  Batteries are considered "bad" when they are more than 0.1v different.  Currently with about... 1,300 miles on my 2013 when I plug in they're initally off by about 0.014 or so, and leaving it plugged in overnight or longer, it shows a difference between high and low of 0.011.  Unplugging, I pretty much drop to 98% immediately.

I *heard* that a new set of batteries could run $5k.  Regardless of what KBB or NADA says (just checked, neither has anything listed to compare against), I don't think I'd pay much more than $5k for a NOS 2013 E+ that's working well.  Used ones in good operating condition turn up for less than that with low enough miles to almost not matter.  Feel free to debate this last part. :)

Expect at least a brake flush.  I bought mine after it sat on the floor for a year, and it was looking pretty black inside.  Check the manuf date on the tire sidewalls, they may be getting old and hard even with no miles.  The chain should be OK, but you'll want to give it a good scrub and lube.  Go bouncy bouncy on the forks, see if the seals dried out any due to lack of use (which I think mine had, as I had weepage in no time at  all).

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

CasperO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
I called the Brammo folks in Oregon and they assured me that Victory will be obliged to do warranty support on the poor little orphan, and that the new motorcycle is a new vehicle 'til sold.  So the 5 year battery warranty starts when we buy the bike, regardless of date of manufacture.

So,,, we went ahead and bought the wee rascal.  Going to pick it up this Saturday.  Wish us luck.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »
Sounds great! Curiosity is killing me -- could you tell me how much you paid for it?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 12:15:41 AM »
I called the Brammo folks in Oregon and they assured me that Victory will be obliged to do warranty support on the poor little orphan, and that the new motorcycle is a new vehicle 'til sold.  So the 5 year battery warranty starts when we buy the bike, regardless of date of manufacture.

So,,, we went ahead and bought the wee rascal.  Going to pick it up this Saturday.  Wish us luck.

Unfortunately, recent reports here are showing that the servicing handoff to Victory has not been very smooth. Hopefully, that will improve but only time will tell