Author Topic: Need advice,I bought a wrecked empulse R  (Read 1699 times)

kentster

• View Profile
Need advice,I bought a wrecked empulse R
« on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:59 PM »
Folks,
Need advice/help. I bought a totaled 2013 r model at the salvage auction today. Not bad, a scuff on the frame  totaled it. Gauges are there but cracked, Headlight's gone, bars bent. Has key, but No charging cable, assuming its supposed to have one. Can I use a conventional , or Shorai trickle charger creatively plugging into terminals, rather than hauling it to a plug at whole foods in my truck? And will it run if the gauges are bad, or are they integrated into the system? Can't wait to ride it!
Cheers, Kent from Addams Autocycle
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:41:15 PM by kentster »

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: I bought a wrecked empulse R
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:40:25 PM »
Sweet deal!

Is the battery dead?

A Shorai trickle charger is good for DC output, the charger input at the top is J1772 and is AC (120/240V).

Look online for a pinout and maybe you can try it. Just make sure you connect Line and Neutral only and to the correct pins.

You'll need to get a J1772 charging cable eventually.

kentster

• View Profile
Re: Need advice,I bought a wrecked empulse R
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
I did not get it back to the shop yet. They remove all keys at salvage auction so they don't get stolen, so I had no way to check. Prob dead, and gauges are cracked open a little at the top. Prob bad, even though they sit under roof at the sale, they could have taken water on the" total" journey somewhere. Any one know if they run without gauges, and where and how much are cables, and how long a charging station typically takes ?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:35 AM »
I've got no data on running without gauges.

You can get the same brand of 120V charging station as OEM here:

https://store.clippercreek.com/pcs-15-portable-ev-charging-station

Or for the same amount of money you can get a 240V version, if you have the higher voltage service available.

From empty, the battery back charges fully in 7.5 hours at 120V and 3.5 hours at 240V, IIRC.

I would NOT try doing ANYTHING in the ball park of messing around with pin outs and a Shorai charger. If it were me, I'd use a real J1772 EVSE (such as those above) or go home.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:34:26 AM by Shinysideup »

kentster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:37:48 AM »
Good advice. Im totally new at this electric thing, with a shop full of aprilias, ducatis, ktms, suzukis, etc.   Im pretty sure Ive seen those j1772 things hanging from the post at whole foods charging station. Is that true, or does each person have to bring their own cable to plug in and charge? Any used ones available on some sight? And I see a bunch on ebay for 150-300.00, but a lot have one bare end without a plug. Can another plug end be bought, where, and how do I know which one? And the ones listed there that are complete with both plugs, are they universal fit to all E vehicles, or does this brammo have a specific plug-end  configuration? I hate to spend 400 bucks on a brand new one and this project be a bust, then get parted out. Anyone on here in the Pittsburgh area I could borrow a cable from for a day, to charge this?{ there might be a pizza and a round of putt-putt golf in it for you} Anyone parting crashed ones out, you know of, for a set of gauges, or are new ones available, and where ? Cant wait to ride this thing!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:39:19 AM »
[removed, Kent is buying my EVSE/Charging station]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:01:22 PM by frodus »

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
If you part it out I'd buy the motor and perhaps other parts.  By the way I'm the guy that you out bid, congratulations itllooks like a cool project. 

kentster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »
Sorry about that. Well, sort of.  I will more than likely make it work and run. Let you know. Kent

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
The 2014 models had an updated instrument cluster (i.e. all of the gauges) that was plug compatible with the 2013 cables so you should be able to buy a new cluster and plug it in if the Victory dealer can find the part number.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »
Sorry about that. Well, sort of.  I will more than likely make it work and run. Let you know. Kent

Don't be sorry, it was somewhat of a relief to not drive out to Pittsburgh. It was exciting to see a Brammo for sale after waiting over a year though. 

kentster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 07:03:46 AM »
Where do you live?

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »
Where do you live?

Massachusetts an hour south of Boston.  If I didn't live so far away I'd offer you a hand with it.

kentster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 10:52:13 AM »
Got this thing going, Fixed the gauge housing, all the little brackets, changed the bars, headlight, and I must say Im impressed! Possibly the funnest bike overall, I ever rode. This carries more weight against all the bikes Ive sold and at least owned thru my shop.  Im just listing these to give perspective. Current stable? 1198sp Ducati,[ Ive fixed and rebuilt for myself,  every superbike in their evolution since the 851 back in 92] 1000RSV4 Aprilia ,Tuono 1000 Vtwin Aprilia, 250 2 stroke Aprilia, MV Agusta F4, 81 Guzzi Lemans 2 Euro , 89Llemans 5. I could go on, but you prob get what Im saying. The Duc breathes fire and sounds like god clearing his throat. Yet this Brammo is MORE FUN! I still have a variety of 25 bikes left for sale here, and havent ridden any of them since I got this going a week ago. I love the quiet whirring, and how surreal it feels. The handling is the most fun attribute, on our western Pa snakey roads. I can hear the tires squealing at their limit as I shred the chicken strips off the edges. [It really needs softer compound ones] Never heard that sweet sound on a dead dinosaur burner before. It feels way lighter in the bends than when sitting on it, because of all the gyroscopic forces not present in a small electric motor without flywheels, cranks, rods etc. I was very ,very surprised. Im hooked, having a hard time contemplating selling this one, but I need another bike like a hole in the head. Question? I was told here , I should change the trans fluid, with 2k on it. My friend works at a polaris dealer and has no info on what it takes, just listing 5w-30 in his info.  Is it some weird clutch compatible special stuff, or will any good synthetic work? What are you guys using?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile