Author Topic: Weird Braking Behavior  (Read 787 times)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Weird Braking Behavior
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:35:05 AM »
So I've been getting back on my bike since my accident over a year ago and I've notice some weird braking behavior and just looking for some feed back on why its happening and how to fix it.

The brakes feel fine and predictable most of the time but every once and awhile I'll start to grab the brakes and I get nothing for a good idk say the first inch or so and than all of a sudden they grab for what I would expect for an inch of movement, but there is no gradual lead up. So when this happens its normal more brake than I was asking for so I like go and re apply and it re apply just fine again. Thoughts on why this is happening?

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Weird Braking Behavior
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »
First guess would be air in the brake lines. Of course that results in more a spongy feel IIRC.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 01:39:15 PM »
I've never experienced that, but I'm the kind of guy that likes his brakes to work well and ALL the time!

I'm guessing that a component (piston) is sticking, either in the master cylinder or in one of the slave cylinders.

If it were my bike, I'd take it to a reputable shop and have the brakes serviced, because, with brakes, I don't trust my DIY skills beyond replacing the pads. It sounds like a good cleaning of all components and replacement of the fluid might well clear this up.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »
You think sitting is what caused this? It was sitting for over a year. And I'm with you brakes I'm not gonna DIY and I want them working right all the time.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »
Yeah, sitting came to my mind. Something is likely gummed up.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:18:59 AM »
Scary. I bet it the master cylinder. I would flush out the brake fluid by opening the bleed valve at the caliper, and pumping fluid through from the lever. That should free up any gunk that may have formed around the master cylinder. Also check all the connection points to make sure the lever is correctly connected to the MC.

Check the calipers for fluid around the pistons, too.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL