Author Topic: Woman passes basic riding course on an Enertia  (Read 1482 times)

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
Woman passes basic riding course on an Enertia
« on: August 07, 2016, 05:46:27 PM »
It's a refresher course, but glad to see put to rest the question of whether an electric motorcycle can be used to pass a riding test.  Not that I think it's difficult, but puzzled by the lack of stories about it.

http://www.athensnews.com/news/local/local-biz-owner-achieves-an-electric-first-with-her-motorcycle/article_132b9dc2-5998-11e6-b7da-e788342e12fb.html
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Woman passes basic riding course on an Enertia
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 06:27:22 AM »
A friend took a basic riders course this weekend and ended up dumping the bike in a 2nd gear turn due to being flustered by the controls (throttle, brake, shifter, clutch).

She's going to take a step back, do some practice, go back for a private lesson, then finish the course later.

An electric bike would have been easier to learn on - could isolate certain skills and controls. I think it's useful to learn how to operate a manual gearbox gas bike, but it's intimidating to a non-trivial number of new riders.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Woman passes basic riding course on an Enertia
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »
After my accident I thought taking the course again, since I was off the bike for over a year. My concern was the bike actually be able to do the course without running out of charge. I wonder how she handled that. Here in NJ the course is 2 full day event.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »
After my accident I thought taking the course again, since I was off the bike for over a year. My concern was the bike actually be able to do the course without running out of charge. I wonder how she handled that. Here in NJ the course is 2 full day event.

Wow. The course I took (17 years ago) was one full day, but all the riding was done in a parking lot. Probably could have done the class more than a dozen times on one charge. They provided the bikes so if I was risking it, I would prefer not to use my own bike when learning. Obviously a brush up course, that would be different.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:01:33 AM by EmpulseRider »

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »
Mine was a Friday night of classroom lessons. Saturday and Sunday were 8-5. Though I think on Sunday we were done by like 3 since the final testing went off with out any hitches. They provided an assortment of bikes in the 300cc and under range. All parking lot stuff, they have one of the parking lots at a community college permanently marked with all the course markings. Over all was really good for my confidence which is something a bit lacking after my accident. (Doesn't help I have a caliper sticking now too)