Author Topic: Tire wear  (Read 746 times)

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Tire wear
« on: August 18, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Something that crossed my mind recently. Just crossed the 4,000 mile threshold and the stock Contis are still kicking ass. By the look of it, I have another 2-3,000 miles easy. And these are pretty sticky tires, which tend not to go past 3-4,000 miles usually. What are others experience with tire wear? Do you think it has anything to do with how the power is delivered to the ground? I mean, these are not exactly light bikes.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Tire wear
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
Agreed: they aren't particularly light and the motor is fairly torquey. Yet... My PR4's get 10K miles on the rear and more on the front. Dunno why.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Tire wear
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »
My conti rear tyre was finished after 10.000 kilometres not miles! I was on the canvas so it was already overdue.
I switched to Bridgestone BT 023 and it is doing better than the conti.
I have another 10.000 kilometres on it and it still has a few thousand kilometres left.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 11:07:11 AM »
Of course it depends on your riding style, but I've found that the PR3 or PR4 Michelins get almost twice the mileage of non-dual compound tires.

I've never had them slip, but then I don't race nor corner really hard. (My chicken strips are about 15 mm). A fellow Empulser did take them to the track where he said they performed well. I saw the tires afterward and the sides were shredded up nicely.

PR4's also have a wide-spread reputation of having good traction in the wet and I've found that to be true.

Your mileage (km-age?) may vary.

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
Of course it depends on your riding style, but I've found that the PR3 or PR4 Michelins get almost twice the mileage of non-dual compound tires.

I've never had them slip, but then I don't race nor corner really hard. (My chicken strips are about 15 mm). A fellow Empulser did take them to the track where he said they performed well. I saw the tires afterward and the sides were shredded up nicely.

PR4's also have a wide-spread reputation of having good traction in the wet and I've found that to be true.

Your mileage (km-age?) may vary.
PR4s are kickass street tires, I've ridden them to Nova Scotia and back and they performed great. Having said that, I think I'll stick with the Contis, once the current set wears out. I just love the way they grip and have developed great confidence in them. I ride pretty hard, and my commute actually has pretty decent twisties. Plus I took the bike to Tail of the Dragon last year, and rode as hard as I wanted and the tires didn't protest one bit. And this is at knee dragging lean angles. So cudos to Conti SportAttacks, not the first tire I'd think of when it comes to performance, but they've been great!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »
Yep, the Sport Attacks worked well on my R1200R, but these days the Empulse does mostly commute duty which is mostly freeways and around a city. I know, I know: kind of a waste of a good motorcycle!