Author Topic: chain tightening questions  (Read 2951 times)

ppc750

• View Profile
chain tightening questions
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »
What are supposed to use to adjust (unscrew and screw) the drive chain adjusting bolts? I don't know if I have anything that can fit in that space between the metal covering surrounding it. Pliers? Wouldn't that just strip the bolt eventually?

When you sit on the enertia with an about 155lb rider, is the play supposed to be minimal? I adjusted it tonight and it seems to be around 1/2 inch play with me sitting on it.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: chain tightening questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »
How about a non-adjustable open end wrench?  Not sure what size those bolts are... 10mm?  There's not a lot of room in there, but I looked, and I think an open end wrench could do it.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:46:13 AM »
Oh, and this page of the wiki pretty much contains the relevant pages of the owner's manual:
http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drive_Chain_Slack_%26_Adjustment

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »
Had to tighten the chain yet again this weekend for some reason. It all of the sudden last week started to exhibit rust on the chain and then got loose again. I've used the same teflon chain lube that I've used in all my chain drive bikes and never seen that... Anyway so I bought a large set of open ended wrenches and none of them seemed to work. Even if it did fit, it wouldn't be able to move anything.

I ended up using a set of pliers like I did last time again. I'm wondering if anyone actually has experience with this?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
I turned on the Bull Signal.  Hopefully, it won't get mixed up with the Bat Signal, although there is a chance that the caped crusader has figured out an answer to the question, since he is an Enertia owner.

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »
I turned on the Bull Signal.  Hopefully, it won't get mixed up with the Bat Signal, although there is a chance that the caped crusader has figured out an answer to the question, since he is an Enertia owner.

Not sure what you meant by this but if you have a size of the open ended wrench and the brand or make that actually works, I'll buy it and try it out. I bought a generic set of open ended wrenches and none of them fit... or the nut was turned in such a way the open ended wrench would not work anyway. That space in there is really tight.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
I meant that I called attention to your question by sending a message to people who are in a position to answer it.  If you don't hear back in a couple days, please send me a PM and I'll try again.

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
I meant that I called attention to your question by sending a message to people who are in a position to answer it.  If you don't hear back in a couple days, please send me a PM and I'll try again.

It sounded like you were trying to call bullsh!t which is different than what you intended. Bull being a loaded word in that sense.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »

It sounded like you were trying to call bullsh!t which is different than what you intended. Bull being a loaded word in that sense.

OH GEEZE... I'm sorry, ppc.  I wasn't thinking about that at all.  I was thinking about the Batman searchlight, but with the Brammo bullhead logo.   ::)  I'm an idiot.

SocalTech

• Enciter
  • My next bike
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »
13mm open ended wrench will work nicely, and if you have two you can lock tighten the lock nut while holding the bolt tight.

pliers just don't give you the grip without rounding off the edge of the nut and bolt

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »
13mm open ended wrench will work nicely, and if you have two you can lock tighten the lock nut while holding the bolt tight.

pliers just don't give you the grip without rounding off the edge of the nut and bolt

Oh wow thanks that did the trick :) Apparently 13mm was the only one my set I got earlier was missing... lol.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:50:04 PM »
What SoCal said... thanks, Dave.  ;)