Author Topic: Chain Monkey  (Read 814 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Chain Monkey
« on: October 01, 2016, 04:37:35 PM »
You might find this evaluation of the Chain Monkey, which is supposed to help you set your final drive chain slack, interesting - even if you decide not to bother getting the thing:  http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/chain-monkey-review/
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Monkey
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »
Being a total gadget whore, I ordered the thing.

Tried it for 1 day and, after my neighbor wouldn't take it, threw it in the trash.

The rubber bolt cover abrades immediately: no big deal, since it's really not needed.

Once tightened according to directions, and then the chain is set, the bolt is really very hard to get loose. No big deal: just remove the handy plastic knob, exposing the hex head on the bolt and use a socket wrench and ratchet handle.

But the deal killer for me: The chain was way too tight, when using according to directions, and when I compensated to where it was about right, I found that I was pretty much just doing my usual SWAG approach, which I'm good at and which has worked for many years without no fancy gadget.

Summary: A solution in search of a problem; that creates more problems than when I started.

But then you may like it just dandy.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »
I plan to stick with the tried-and-true method of measuring chain slack using my dirty finger and a ruler. But I do all of my chain slack measurements and adjustment with the bike on its center stand, as it is just easier to do and I haven't noticed any difference between measured chain slack between performing it on the center stand or the side stand.  ;)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:13:52 AM »
I've read that the purists want us to measure the slack while sitting on the bike, and in several places around the rotation of the rear wheel. A two person job.

I'm even more crude: on the center stand and no ruler... just a dirty finger and my best eyeball guess, with the OEM specs as a starting place, erring on the side of loser rather than tighter. My FJ-09 owner's guide specs, e.g.,  are WAY too tight (5-15 mm) for my preference of saving my bearings. I adjust to about 1" at the tightest spot in the rotation. Caveat wrencher!