Author Topic: Empulse battery drains when turned off.  (Read 1419 times)

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
Empulse battery drains when turned off.
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
Hello,

Last month i noticed that when i drive my bike and turn it off, a couple of hours later i turn it back on to drive back home and after some second my battery percentage drops from for example 69% to 58% without moving the bike.
My bike is completely original so no 12V plugs for charging phone or anything else that could drain my battery.
Last week my bike also stopped in the middle of the road when it still had 6%. After turning it off and on it was on 0%. I still managed to drive it home, luckily i was just hundred meters from there.
I use my bike every day in the week to day a trip of 80kms, i charge it every night and i never ever had my battery on 0% (only last week). So i don't think i do anything wrong.

Anybody an idea what might be the problem? My bike is almost 2 years old so if it isn't the battery i have to be quick to get it fixed under warranty.

Kind regards,

Tom

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse battery drains when turned off.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
From my knowledge of batteries this might be call for alarm. Li-ion batteries don't normally lose voltage while under no load especially not 11% in a day. The turning off at 6% might be do to how many amps you were asking for at the time.

My guess is you could get new batteries under warranty for this or it might just be a bad sensor mis-displaying the remaining battery.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »
Your drop in voltage is totally abnormal and I agree you need to get it checked out ASAP, not only for warranty reasons but to make sure you don't get stranded, and/or do damage to the pack.

As to the second part (not to thread jack you!), my bike is 3 years old with 36K miles on it and I've noticed the "jump to zero charge" phenomenon is happening at higher levels, even when I don't make sudden demands of current.

Early on, it never happened: the gauge wouldl go down continuously until I hit zero percent SOC. I ran it down that far only twice, as I try to manage my range carefully.

Then, when the SOC had reached 10% or so, if I made a heavy current demand by twisting the throttle, it would jump to 0% and flash the charge battery warning, as has been written about on this forum.

Next, the 10% level gradually evolved into 20% for the current demand to trigger the jump to zero.

Last week I was at 28%, doing a constant 60 mph at 5000 rpm on the freeway and it jumped to 0%. I was about 3 miles from home and about 1/2 mile from my exit. I very carefully applied smooth throttle and proceeded at the lowest speeds I could safely run and made it home, still showing 0%.

I plugged in the charger and the SOC showed 7%.

I would like to know:

1) Is this a degradation of information monitoring only?

2) Is this a degradation of battery performance?

3) What are possible causes and possible remedies?

Not knowing my REAL state of charge at around 30% makes for lots of white knuckling!

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »
I already sent an email to my dealer. I will update this thread when i have news from them. But it doesn't sound that good if i read your reactions.

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 01:42:26 PM »
I forgot to mention that i use my bike every day to do a trip from home to the university, about 75 kms a day. When i get home i have an average of 25% left. Last week when i only had 6% left i went to the store before going home, but i think it was the first time ever i went under 10%. So 90% of the time i plug the charger in at 25%.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:21:24 PM »
What is your current temperature out there?

At a certain point, battery heaters come on.

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:30:59 PM »
It is 14 degrees celcius outside but the battery drop happens when the bike is in a heated garage as well.

cybergodzilla

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »
I wrote my experience in  Brammo Empulse Discussion » Brammo Empulse » Sudden drop in State of Charge.
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3155.msg23050#msg23050

My problem has gone away now, but I think the battery power was still there at the original value =)
2014 Empulse =D
2014 CBR650F B-)
2014 CFR250L =O

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 01:04:11 AM »
But the problem is that the drop of 10% happens after only 3 hours. And as i said it is in a heated garage then.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 09:18:12 AM »
Can you toggle the battery view on? hit both buttons really quick, it'll go into a mode that shows you the lowest and highest cell voltage.

It may be the SOC is snapping lower because of a low cell.

Can you try charging fully and keep the bike plugged in so it'll balance?

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 02:34:41 PM »
I called my dealer today and we will try first by keeping the bike plugged in for the weekend. Monday i will take it for a test drive and see if the problem is solved. If not i have to send the motorcycle log files so they can see if there is a problem with the batteries. Fingers crossed it is just a matter of balancing the cells.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 06:04:12 PM »
toggle on the battery view.... and take a pic and attach and let us see it.

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 02:52:10 AM »
After a day of charging. I will see if it changes by monday.

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 02:59:50 AM »
Can you toggle the battery view on? hit both buttons really quick, it'll go into a mode that shows you the lowest and highest cell voltage.

It may be the SOC is snapping lower because of a low cell.

Can you try charging fully and keep the bike plugged in so it'll balance?

Should high and low be the same?

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 10:38:33 AM »
Those are fairly close to each other and probably fine. Can you ride around a little? or see if you can turn the bike on, and put the brake on and give a little throttle to load the bike a little? This would show you what voltage the batteries are under load.