Author Topic: Who Owns a Victory Empulse TT ????  (Read 18289 times)

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Who Owns a Victory Empulse TT ????
« on: December 11, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »
I am really interested in the Victory Empulse TT.  So far I can not find even one person who has purchased one!  I would sure like to hear from any owners.  Thank you....

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who Owns a Victory Empulse TT ????
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 10:53:44 PM »
I have a Victory Empulse TT, and I had a 2014 Brammo Empulse R prior to that.  They are practically the same bike with some minor differences such as the rear tire width as well as some of the internal connectors that impact which replacement part fits.  Overall, most comments you read on this forum about the Empulse still apply to the Empulse TT.

Test ride one if you have not had the chance yet.  I love the Empulse and the whole electric riding experience.

Did you have any specific questions?

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »
First of all....  I really appreciate you taking the time to write....  I have ridden the Empulse TT a couple of times and think it is a blast....  I am concerned with the operating range--your real world experience would be worth a lot....  AND I wonder whether Polaris will continue with the bike and it's support....  Any thoughts would be appreciated....  I guess they haven't sold many--you are the first owner I have found...  You might chime in on the VOG (Victory Owners Group)--there have been a lot of questions, but no answers....  Thanks again....

+progress-

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • EVinceApparel.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 12:22:17 AM »
I recently became an owner of a 2016 Empulse TT as part of a $0 trade.
(After about 4 months in shop, Victory was out of options to fix my 2013 Empulse R.  It was having a throttle pulse issue and replacing the VCU was the fix.  The VCU was already replaced recently so they agreed to replace it under warranty.  In the end there was some kind of a software issue and the dealer/ Polaris could not get it to run.  So they offered to replace it with one of their gas bikes.  As I am a electric vehicle advocate that wasn't going to work.  In the end I got to take home the 2016 Victory Empulse TT that Lynnwood Motoplex had on there showroom floor! 90 miles on the odometer  ;D)

I burned through the transmission break-in to get to sport mode and really begin to compare the bikes.
Coming from a 2013, there are a few differences that one wouldn't notice coming from a 2014 - different handle bars, new instrument gauge/cluster - all improvements.

The new stuff (according to me):
-  new seat, reviewed by many as being much more comfortable.  I think it is slightly more comfortable.
-  different motor specs, about 8% less torque on paper.  Tough to tell for sure but I feel like I miss that extra torque slightly.  It is still very fast!! and lots of fun!!
-  I believe that I read the transmission is the same across all generations of the Empulse but it feels refined.  Maybe it is slight manufacturing improvements/adjustments.  Maybe the clutch on this bike was set-up better than my previous bike.  It definitely seems that there has been an adjustment to the regen which delays slightly after shifting leading to smoother operation.
-  Slight battery capacity increase.  I used to count on 70 miles from 100% to about 0% SOC.  I think that 80 miles is a safe distance to count on for combination highway/city riding at a nice brisk pace, but babying it for that last 10%.  Could this bike go farther... probably.... if you ride it like a scooter.
-  The suspension felt smoother to me.  No idea if it is new or not but it felt like it was to me.  The suspension on my 2013 began to feel much smoother 5,000 or so miles in.  The TT felt like that at 90 miles.  (I was off the R for 4 months.
-  160 rear tire.  It was said the change was to make the bike more nimble and it does just that.
-  You can switch between Sport and Eco modes while rolling down the road  8)

I have always been a fan of the Empulse.  I pre-ordered early, waited forever to finally take delivery and have been through the slow uptake of dealers and then the sale to Polaris.  I still love the Empulse!  It is a great looking bike, the components are premium, and the TT is an actual Victory bike so I assume repair work will be smooth even for several years into the future.
I believe they still have the $5,000 factory discount available on the TT and it is eligible for the 10% federal tax rebate through the end of the month.  With that money off, it is a real competitor against the Zero SR and DSR especially when you consider that the TT comes with a "charge tank".  but Zero does have more range, especially when optioned up.

2013 Empulse R  #80  <RIP> *1st in Seattle
2016 Victory Empulse TT #176 *1st in Seattle 8/30/18 - In shop for warranty motor replacement

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »
Nice write up....  I for one appreciate the information....  How does the mileage change when riding in hilly areas????

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 01:25:19 PM »
Congrats, thats a solid deal. Kudos to your dealer for placing the customer first!

Quick (off topic) question. What camera did you use to take that excellent picture?

+progress-

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • EVinceApparel.com
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »
Nice write up....  I for one appreciate the information....  How does the mileage change when riding in hilly areas????

Seattle has many hills but I don't often head east into them.  I wouldn't expect hills to be too problematic as you have to come back down and then you can regen some of that energy.

Congrats, thats a solid deal. Kudos to your dealer for placing the customer first!

Thanks, I was excited!  I spent lots of time speaking with both the dealership and Polaris customer support.  All of the diagnostics occur at Polaris corporate by an EV tech who decides how to proceed with the repair and reevaluates when the fix fails.  By the end of the multiple months of attempted fixes the dealership and I were growing frustrated.  The final decision to trade for the bike came from Polaris corporate whom I assume covered all of the costs.

Quick (off topic) question. What camera did you use to take that excellent picture?
I took the pic with my Nikon D5000 (entry level DSLR) with a Nikkor 50mm prime lens (fixed focal length) and did some manipulations in Photoshop. The old warehouse in the background is in Seattle's SODO neighborhood which is nice and quite on the weekends, unless there is a professional sporting event.
2013 Empulse R  #80  <RIP> *1st in Seattle
2016 Victory Empulse TT #176 *1st in Seattle 8/30/18 - In shop for warranty motor replacement

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 12:39:22 AM »
I agree with everything +progress- wrote except I used to get 80 miles out of my Empulse R and still get about 80 out of the Empulse TT.  There are some nice canyon rides where I live and hills don't seem to have to much impact provided I am not using the friction brakes much.  What the uphill taketh, the downhill giveth.  Increased air resistance from speed has the most noticeable impact on range and cooler days give a bit less as well.

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »
You guys have been very, very helpful....  Much thanks....

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 09:50:38 PM »
Well.... I took the plunge.... Bought an Empulse TT from Spirit Motorcycles in San Jose today.... They made me a deal that I couldn't refuse.... I just want to play with one of these things....

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »
Congrats! Post a photo when you get a chance.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »
Congratulations, enjoy your new ride!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 01:42:58 AM »
Pictures or it didn't happen!

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
I agree....  Very soon....

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 02:31:51 AM »
Ultratoad,

Welcome to the club! I live in San Jose and i have been having an Empulse TT for the past 3 months (1500+ miles on it so far).

I have written up a post on the range i've been getting here:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6150.0

I go to Spirit Motorcycles for servicing etc but i got the bike from Ohio (American Heritage Motorsports just before they closed down). Its been a great commuter and i've taken the bike to Mt.Hamilton and Santa Cruz.
Mt.Hamilton was a blast!! Started at 100% and was back at 45% for a total of about 45-50 miles. I was nowhere close to babying the throttle. Was in sport mode all the time with heavy throttle usage. Didnt charge anywhere on the ride. Through the corners, the 160 rear tire really has so much grip! Quite easy to lean the bike through corners too.

Mods:
1.MRA RNB windshield (Greatly helps with range and protection).
2. I just got the emotorwerks fender eliminator which i'm going to try.
3. Got a HID kit to be installed yet.

Have taken it out in the rain and late night colds so far with no issues.
The only thing i noticed so far is that the DC charge rate is always at 2.5kW (i think its a claimed 3kW). I've never seen it charge at the max rate.

Its a fantastic bike! Hope Victory continues to support it and brings on more.
I'll share some pics soon.