Author Topic: Empulse for track days?  (Read 2359 times)

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Empulse for track days?
« on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:34 PM »
Anybody have any idea what the range for the Empulse 10.0 would be at full tilt on the track? Obviously I am asking for rough estimates since the bike is not in production, but is there possibly any info from Brammo on this?

Looks like the race bikes listed here: http://www.egrandprix.com/news.php?id=81 get about 40-50 miles at race speeds. Specifically the No 22 bike that has 10kWh battery and weighs 551 lbs gets an impressive 50 mile range at 110 mph! Im wondering since I am looking to sell my Ducati, but may keep it for track days.

50 miles would only get about half a track day though unless I bring a generator to charge between sessions which may allow me to stick around for a full track day.

Shane

• View Profile
    • Full Empulse
    • Email
Re: Empulse for track days?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:14:04 PM »
The bug bit you, did it?  ;D

This page says that range will vary due to various factors such as rider weight, weather, and *ahem* "habits."  It refers to a chart on the page to estimate range, but the only thing close to a chart is the listing of the three models and their respective average ranges.

Also of note to this topic, on the same page it reads "Brammo products used for racing do not carry a manufacturer's warranty." - Just saying.....

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
Oh yeah, cant wait for another track day. Had one hell of a time, and as a bonus I didn't wreck my brother's extra GSXR. Anyhow I am leaning towards keeping the Ducati for the track (A new track just opened up here too!) and just using the Empulse for commuting and mountain runs. It would be nice to see charging stations at the track in the future though.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:44:05 PM »
I've got the track bug myself and while the Empulse will be fast, it might be best to keep the Ducati if you're chasing lap times.  If you're just out to have fun and explore the cornering and performance potential of the bike, then that's a different story.  We ran the Empulse 8.0 at the track and had an absolute blast.  This kind of crazy looking photo is of me going up and over Turn 5 ("The Cyclone") at Thunderhill Raceway...

*DISCLAIMER* - I am not saying one way or another the effect of track usage on the warranty of your Empulse - the lawyers will get involved with that.  I'm just saying it was fun!

One make series anyone? Something like... http://www.racebikerentals.com/bikes.asp

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:02:18 PM »
I remember that turn well. I about wrecked on that one the first time around. The turn is at the top of a hill and is a bit sharper than it initially appears. Took that one nice and easy for the rest of the day. I constantly scraped my toe-sliders on turn 11 and almost shat myself going into that one way too hot. Good times.

mykb13

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:56:57 PM »
Will the Empulse's top speed be gearing dependent or computer controlled?  If it's limited by gearing then a set of different sprockets might be fun to experiment with at the track!

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »
Will the Empulse's top speed be gearing dependent or computer controlled?  If it's limited by gearing then a set of different sprockets might be fun to experiment with at the track!
The Empulse will likely either be controller-limited, gearing-limited, or artificially restricted by a governor of some type. The Empulse 10.0 has a higher voltage than the 6.0/8.0, and the 8.0/10.0 use higher amp-hour modules (which should be able to tolerate higher peak and continuous current draws) than the 6.0.

Since the top speed is listed as the same for all bikes, it's probably geared for maximum acceleration and a top speed just above 100 mph. Assuming the bikes are not restricted by a governor or a weak controller, the Empulse 10.0 at least should be able to go somewhat faster than 100 mph on track.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/