Author Topic: Blown a Fuse  (Read 1690 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Blown a Fuse
« on: November 29, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
A few days ago, my bike stopped charging. I finally opened the bike up a bit and discovered that there was a blown fuse.

Looks like a 15 Amp 125 Volt fuse.

Does anybody know what circuit that fuse is protecting? I'm going to replace the fuse and see what happens, but if there's something else wrong with the bike, the fuse will just blow again.
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Blown a Fuse
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:31:42 AM »
After spending a bit of time looking for replacement fuses, it looks like the fuses I'm looking for are:
125.6785.5157 (15A) and 125.6785.4507 (5A)

Here's the data sheet about those fuses:
http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/automotive/datasheets/fuses/passenger-car-and-commercial-vehicle/blade-fuses/littelfuse_fun_mini_125v_blade_fuses.pdf

I don't know if I'll be able to buy any less than 50 of each type of fuse at a time.

Has anybody else already bought those fuses? If so, can I buy a few? If not, then I'll probably buy a box, and sell them at cost (price of box/50 + shipping) to whoever wants some.
Richard #935 #595 #44

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »
A local auto store should have them in packs of 2 or 3. I've blown a 15A fuse while wiring up my custom brake light.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
You must have a fine parts store near you - I wasn't able to find a replacement fuse anywhere I looked in Orlando. Lots of places have 15A fuses, but nobody had one that could take 125V. I'm going to have to buy a bunch of them online. That's okay, except that shipping costs more than the fuse, unless I buy a box of them, so that's what I'm going to do.

By the way, littlefreak3000, when you were wiring your custom brake light, can you recall which fuse burned out? It might be interesting to see (and document) which systems each fuse is protecting.
Richard #935 #595 #44

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »
FWIW, before I found the reason for my bike not charging, I was looking into the possibility of a blown fuse. I could not find the high-voltage mini fuse ANYWHERE on-line. So...if you're looking to become a supplier, take the plunge and order that 50 pack  ;D

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Blown a Fuse
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »
Glad you was able to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
Before I went ahead to buy a box of fuses, I decided to try an experiment. I switched out the broken fuse with one of the remaining working fuses. The idea was to see if the only reason why the charging wasn't working was due to that fuse. Removing some other fuse was going to cause an issue elsewhere, but it if the charging worked, then at least I could buy fuses with confidence that replacing them would fix the problem.

That didn't work. So I took another look at the bike and this is what I saw in the space between the batteries and the charging box:

If it's not clear from the picture, there quite a lot of melted insulation in there. Alas, that's nothing that a simple replacement fuse will fix.

Over a year ago, Adan wrote this:
The problem, I was told, was the connectors to the charger.  They melted.  I was told this is a "known problem," the solution to which is to install more robust connectors.

I wonder if I 'm having the same issue that Adan was talking about. I hope the procedure for replacing those wires is well established, and it will be a simple task to replace the melted connections.
Richard #935 #595 #44

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
You must have a fine parts store near you - I wasn't able to find a replacement fuse anywhere I looked in Orlando. Lots of places have 15A fuses, but nobody had one that could take 125V. I'm going to have to buy a bunch of them online. That's okay, except that shipping costs more than the fuse, unless I buy a box of them, so that's what I'm going to do.

By the way, littlefreak3000, when you were wiring your custom brake light, can you recall which fuse burned out? It might be interesting to see (and document) which systems each fuse is protecting.

O didn't take note that being a high voltage fuse that would make sense on the hard to find front. You would think a high voltage fuse would look different than your standard blue 15A fuse.

It was a 15A fuse (low voltage). It took out head lights, tail lights, and the horn if I remember correctly. Don't remember exactly what one it was. I simply accidently touched my 12v running light line to the ground while wiring things up.

That melted connector looks harsh. Interested in seeing what you find out. Gonna try a Polaris dealership?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:25:09 PM by littlefreak3000 »

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 01:04:13 AM »
I got the bike to the shop without any trouble, as the bike had sufficient charge to get there. However, I got some rather bad news once they had a look under the hood.

According to the service technician: the ev power charger pack had an internal short that caused wire damages that melted through the main harness and into dc converter box.

It turns out that this isn't going to be fixed by replacing a fuse! They want to replace quite a lot of hardware: the EV charger pack, the wires and even the DC converter box. It turns out that high voltage electronics is not easy, and when things go wrong, they really go very wrong!

I am thankful that the entire bike hadn't caught fire when the fault occurred as there was enough good design to prevent that.

Has anybody else experienced anything like that?
Richard #935 #595 #44

XR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »
Finnally somobody find the way to buy thoose 125V Littelfuse mini Blade 5A and 15A?

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
I ended up taking the bike to the dealership to see what they can do about the melted cables. After a bit of discussion, I left the bike with them to see if they could come up with a way to resolve the issue that we can both agree on. It's been a few weeks so far, and I hope they can figure something out, or this may be the end of the road for me.
:'(

This is an interesting test of how dedicated Victory (and Polaris) are to Brammo's early customers. Whatever the outcome is - good or bad - I'll be sure to share it with everybody. (I hope it's good - I love to ride my Empulse!)
:)
Richard #935 #595 #44

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Blown a Fuse
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »
Fingers crossed. Good test of Polaris's parts supply commitment.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/