Brammo Empulse Discussion > Brammo Empulse FAQ

2014 Empulse $1000

<< < (2/3) > >>

frodus:
So does the clutch not disengage?

Mine does that when its cold. It takes a little bit to warm up, since there's no ICE. Wet clutches stick when the oil is more viscous (i.e. cold). Maybe it was a combination of needing to be bled, and being cold.

Roland Stone:
frodus, - doing a bleed job didn't hurt, eliminating air in the line as a possible contributing factor to my clutch anomaly, and down here in Florida I definitely don't have to worry about cold-induced clutch disengagement issues.  Also, considering I haven't seen a brake fluid level drop in my master cylinder would seem to eliminate the possibility of any fluid leakage at the clutch hydraulic/mechanical interface. End of the day it's looking more and more like just a break-in issue in consideration the low mileage (950) on my Empulse(?).  I think I'll definitely reduce the interval time between rides now.  As it is/was I also have an Aprillia Sportcity scooter which I use for most of my necessary running around.  I get on the Empulse pretty much for the joy of the ride, and I need doing that more often.  And yes, to answer your question, the clutch is operating normally now which is what is puzzling and why the initial issue of not disengaging remains a question.  I'll post again if the present as-normal situation changes.  Would have liked knowing exactly what was causing the problem but just glad time being I'm not looking at a major clutch issue.  No idea now how/where I would ever be able getting it serviced.  Grim.

Are you healed up and riding again?  I remember reading you took a pretty good fall a while back. 

frodus:
Yeah, mine sticks a little until it warms up the transmission oil.

It wasn't me that wrecked, I've been fortunate enough to have no accidents.

Roland Stone:
frodus, - The fact you've also experienced some clutch "warm-up" disengagement issues is actually good news for me because I was starting to think I was the only Empulse owner with the intermittant problem.  My situation still seems odd though considering it never gets really cold down here in Florida and I never really get on the RPM's until the motor has warmed up to 80F which is more to do with the oil-breather recall issue, - I haven't changed mine out yet and probably won't.  Anyway, thanks for the info and glad to hear it wasn't your bike that slid out from under you.  As I recall it was a previous winter time incident in Philadelphia or some such.  Besides banging up his bike the guy got a few broken bones. Whoever it was posted about the accident and was laid up for a while.  Well, - hope he's recovered. 

flar:
I rarely use the clutch.  The bike responds too well to clutchless shifting techniques that I don't bother.  The only thing the clutch does in my opinion is allow you to over-rev on a shift.  The only useful thing it does is when you are maneuvering it around in a parking space and you want to prevent yourself from losing control if you accidentally goose the throttle as you pull on the bars while looking over your shoulder.

As for shifting, it is really not necessary.  As for stopping, it is completely not necessary.

To be clear, the technique I use is when I want to shift up is to apply a slight upward pressure on the shifter and then lightly let up on the throttle and it snicks cleanly into the next gear.  The reverse works well for downshifting, or sometimes you have to give a tiny bit of throttle if you are slowing on regen and want to downshift as the regen can also keep the gears from shifting and a tiny bit of throttle releases that bind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version