Author Topic: Hella (Powerlet) receptacle  (Read 1144 times)

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hella (Powerlet) receptacle
« on: April 19, 2017, 05:17:47 PM »
Some have wondered where to get 12 volt power from the Bike.  In the case of the Victory Empulse (as I had mentioned before) there is a "Hella" plug located under the "tank" cover.  It is more commonly referred to as a Powerlet receptacle and is used extensively on BMW motorcycles.  It's location is inconvenient to get to and almost impossible to use.  The receptacle has a spring loaded cover on it to keep out dirt when not in use.  The problem is the cover cannot be opened with the tank cover in place.  In addition the Powerlet plug makes the fit problem even worse.  If you are going to use this plug for power, you need to remove the receptacle from it's mounting, remove the spring loaded cover, and then replace the receptacle.  You can then use a 90 degree angle Powerlet plug to make your connection.  You can buy the plug on the internet in various places as just a plug or with some sort of wiring attached.  I used the plug with an 18" wire terminating with a SAE two pole connector.  I let it hang out in the slot where the clutch cable goes under the frame on the left side.

The circuit is protected by a 10 amp fuse located in the fuse box.  The power supply for 12 volts is a DC-DC converter located in front of the rear tire just above the transmission.  It is made by Sevcon (the same people that make the motor controller).  It is rated at 300 watts, 12 VDC and 25 amps.  The bike itself uses about 1/2 of the converter output for running lighting and the cooling water pump.  If you need more than the approx. 10 amps remaining, Sevcon makes a 500 watt model of the converter that is a bolt in plug and play fit that will give you a lot more power--over 40 amps.  They also build the converter in 12, 13.5 and 14 volt output.  I would have thought Brammo would have provided the Empulse with the 13.5 volt converter as that replicates the normal battery voltage of motor vehicles when the alternator is operating.  That little 1.5 volts is really noticeable with incandescent lights like the headlight.  If I needed the power it would be the 500 watt 13.5 volt unit.  BTW--if you could find a used converter, they can be run in parallel for additional power.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hella (Powerlet) receptacle
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »
Is the powerlet a switched (from key) or always hot?  I'm assuming it is switched since there is no 12v battery and gets its power from the converter.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hella (Powerlet) receptacle
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »
It is switched---nothing on the motorcycle can happen until the VCU commands the DC-DC converter to start.  It appears that the VCU always has high voltage from the battery applied to it regardless of the main contactor.  Until the converter starts, there is no low voltage DC anywhere on the bike.  You can tell something is fully powered at all times by the "snap" you get when you re-connect the high voltage interlock connector.  It must be more than just the VCU--I think the motor control unit is also powered.  This might be why Victory asks to disconnect the high voltage if the bike is going to be stored for a long period of time.

BTW--also a warning not to mess around with connectors unless the high voltage is disabled  >:( !