Author Topic: Clutch Switch and Hella Plug  (Read 1107 times)

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Clutch Switch and Hella Plug
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:36:06 PM »
Just fooling around with the bike and found a couple of things.

Under the top cover on the left side of the bike there is a "Hella plug".  It is wired for 12 volts and looks liked it is fused for 10 amps.  If you don't what it is, BMW and some others use them for tapping power in their vehicles instead of a cigarette lighter style plug.  You can buy the mating  connector at various places on the internet.  Why the plug is located where it is, why it exists and why there is no mention of it in the owners manual beats me.

I Also found a connector that looks like it could be "jumped" with a piece of wire.  It's marked "Low Battery Override" and goes to the BMS controller.  No mention of what it is for but if you completely kill your battery I think jumping this connector would give you power long enough to wake up the electronics when connected to a charging source so the bike can begin to charge.  Just a guess so try it at your own risk. 

One other question---under the clutch lever is a switch.  Two wires lead out of the switch and disappear behind the headlight.  Problem is (on my bike) the wires aren't connected to anything.  There are just two male bullet connectors and that's it.  According to my service manual there should be two orange wires connected to the bullet connectors.  One goes to chassis ground and the other to a digital input #6 in the motor controller.  Must have a purpose or possibly Victory eliminated the function and just left the switch.  If it was connected, the switch would ground digital input #6---possibly to limit RPM, torque or such with the clutch pulled in.  On my bike, the wire just came out from behind the headlight with no effort.  If anyone out there wants to look at their Victory and see where that wire goes (if anywhere) I would like to know---thanks.

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clutch Switch and Hella Plug
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:24:08 PM »
I found the clutch switch.  I was looking at it every time I rode the bike.  The mechanical switch under the clutch lever does nothing.  Neither does the black two pin connector tie-wrapped to the handlebar.  As earlier stated, the mechanical switch wires are just hanging loose behind the headlight.  The two pin black connector looks like it is coming from the handlebar switch but it is not.  After removing the left handlebar switch and removing the tie-wrap in the switch housing I found the two black wires make a U-turn back to the headlight connector.  One of the wires is connected to the left handlebar connector behind the headlight--but there is no mating pin on the harness coming from the bike.  The other appears to be spliced within the wire harness to some other wire.  Not worth figuring it out.  I cut the wires to the black connector, removed the mechanical switch and put the bike back together.

As to the clutch switch.  It is actually a pressure switch mounted in tandem with the banjo nut on the clutch master cylinder.  The wires go to a connector behind the headlight and mate with a connector with two orange wires that terminate with a ground on one and the motor controller on the other.  Now if I could just figure out what it does to the motor controller when activated  ::) !  As it is already still somewhat apart, I am going to try to find out what the orange connector under the right side switch housing doesn't do.