Author Topic: replace motor?  (Read 3077 times)

09enertia

• View Profile
replace motor?
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
My 09 Enertia just died and wondering where I could get parts and work done around Los Angeles. After 5000 miles, the motor and "gear shaft" were stripped and had to be replaced, which Brammo did. Now at 25000 miles, it seems like the same problem. The bike only barely moves if the throttle is barely turned. A normal turn of the throttle only makes a rattling sound. Chain and sprockets are fine, so the problem seems internal the same as last time. Wondering where I can buy a replacement motor and "gear shaft" and get the work done. Thanks for any suggestions!

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: replace motor?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 09:15:10 AM »
I would think that your only option would be to contact Harlan at Hollywood Electrics, located in North Hollywood.  If anyone can help you he is the guy as he works on all kinds of electric motorcycles and used to sell the Brammo brand.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »
Wow! Great find, Jazz.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

09enertia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
Thanks, Jazz. Yes, I had seen that motor on Ebay; I'm considering it. First, trying to find someone who can do the work.

Hollywood Electrics stopped servicing Brammos a couple years ago when they stopped selling Brammos. However, I have heard that Polaris Victory might service Brammos, so I'll check with them.

I was getting brakes and chain work done at Metrikmoto in Culver City. Good shop. I'm guessing the problem is that I didn't keep my chain clean enough recently and the mess jammed the insides.

09enertia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
I'm still searching for a mechanic to work on my 09 Enertia.

After calling lots of Victory shops, I found Indian Motorcycles of Orange County was the only one willing to work on my bike. They thought (based on the sound the bike was making) that changing the "clutch sprocket" would fix it. But I gave up on them after they had my Enertia for five weeks. Their service manager finally said nobody is actually trained to work on Brammos there. He also told me it's hard to get parts because Brammo parts aren't catalogued properly at Polaris. He said another Brammo at their shop has been waiting a year and a half for parts. I did get a new "clutch sprocket" handed to me finally, but no repair done.

Does anybody know anybody in L.A. willing to work on an '09 Enertia? Does anybody know where Dave Harvey is? He fixed my bike last time and did great work.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:05:14 PM »
Getting parts is going to be a challenge even going through an authorized dealer.  Since you are not dealing with a warranty issue, Harlan Flagg at Hollywood Electrics is probably your best bet.  He would at least have the necessary skills to make something work.  At the very least, it would be worth talking to Harlan to see what he can do for you and what it might cost.

09enertia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 01:34:24 AM »
When I recently stopped by Hollywood Electrics, the sales person there said they can't even touch Brammos anymore. He suggested trying a Victory dealer, which led me to Indian Orange County, but that didn't work out. I'll try to get in touch with Harlan and see what advice he can give. Thank you.

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »
Keep us updated.  It is sad that once our Brammos die, that will probably be it.  Looks like no support from Brammo, Polaris or anyone else for that matter.

09enertia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »
Update: My bike also needs the "front sprocket" that will fit with the "clutch sprocket" that I got through Indian Motorcycles of Orange County. (Of course, it makes sense that both parts would need to be replaced). I called Polaris about the front sprocket and am waiting to hear back from their parts department.

09enertia

• View Profile
Enertia running again
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 01:37:23 AM »
After I finally got two new interlocking gear sprockets (one on the motor and one to the chain) from Victory ordered through Indian Motorcycles of Orange County, Hollywood Electrics finally agreed to do the replacement for me. The old sprockets had worn the teeth off. But just one week after Hollywood Electrics did the replacement, the two new sprockets wore the teeth off again. This is exactly what happened 20,000 miles ago when Brammo decided to then replace the motor. (Was the motor out of sync? Was the chain too loose? Was the tension spring too weak pressing the two sprockets together? Not sure.) Hollywood Electrics said they didn't have the equipment to swap the motor for a "new" one on eBay now, but instead suggested just welding the two sprockets together, especially since Zero electric motorcycles don't have the two sprocket feature that the Brammos have (which seems to serve no purpose and keeps breaking). So Hollywood Electrics welded the two sprockets together and two weeks later, the bike still seems to be running fine!

Drivingthefuture

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 02:05:45 AM »
Is the bike still running? If so, that's amazing!

09enertia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 01:04:16 AM »
Bike is still running. 32000 miles!

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 04:09:25 PM »
That's great to hear and very encouraging to other Enertia owners. 

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »
Wow amazing story here.  I admire your will to get your bike back on the road.  I hope my Empulse gets to 30k!
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139