Author Topic: Oil seal behind gear  (Read 1113 times)

GlennKneefel

• View Profile
Oil seal behind gear
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »
I'm searching for the oilseal behind the front gear of the chaindrive. It seems Polaris cannot deliver it (or it takes too much time). Does anyone know where to order the oilseal? Thanks.

---

No need anymore. Found them already
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:55:08 AM by GlennKneefel »

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oil seal behind gear
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:24:48 AM »
Was your seal leaking ? How it appears on the bike : do you have oil under the gearbox and/or on the side of the motor ? I have a leak on the left side on the motor but I had not found where it comes from.

Have you replace it, was it easy?

Thank you.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »
Ok I think I need a seal too. I took the bike out for a ride and when I got home I parked and covered the bike. the next day I'm getting a small amount of oil coming down my kickstand and collecting under where the stand contacts the ground. Even if you find a seal, who is going to do the work? Where did you find the seal?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:20:37 PM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
I did not find the seal yet. Did you find one ?

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
Finally got the bike on stands to deal with the oil leak. It seems to be coming from behind the front sprocket but not sure. The oil is coming down the back of the kickstand.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:17:58 PM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 05:24:36 PM »
The service manual is vague about the type of oil seal used in the transmission.  I would think that it is a standard type of oil seal but by the description, it might not be.  You need to remove the chain, chain guard and the chain sprocket to get to the seal. At that point the service manual says "Remove the sprocket-chain spacer and the O-ring underneath by means of a screwdriver or a similar tool.  Pay attention not to damage the bearing." 

It sounds like the seal is just an O-ring that rides on the spacer.  If that is the case, no wonder it leaks.  At least it should be easy to find the O-ring somewhere (most likely metric) and pop it back in.  If you see a conventional seal when you get the sprocket off, a hook type tool or a small pry tool can get between the lip of the seal and force the seal out of the housing bore.  Even easier if you can get the spacer out of the way first.  This will totally destroy the seal but there should be some numbers on it to identify it.  If not, a caliper can get you the bore size and the spacer OD to get a replacement seal.

You don't want to get into further disassembly of the transmission as the shifter ratchet is under the cover and you don't want to have to re-time that thing.  Also, the cover has a paper gasket under it that will be destroyed when removed.  As we all know, you would be making one by hand as there are really no parts for these machines.  Good luck and report back your findings.  ;D

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »
I've been thinking more about this.  There must be a conventional seal on the output shaft---an O-ring wouldn't work at all.  They must be talking about a O-ring to seal the spacer.  If there wasn't one, oil could leak between the I.D. of the spacer and the O.D. of the output shaft.  It must be between the bearing and the spacer.  This could be another potential leak path.  Even with the O-ring in place, I would most likely coat the inside of the spacer with something like Permatex Aviation sealer or Yamabond.  This would seal the shaft regardless of the condition of the O-ring.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »
UPDATE:
Thanks for the response. I disassembled the rear set and kickstand. I stopped short of going any further because i needed to disassemble the clutch line in order to get to the front sprocket and I was not prepared to change the clutch fluid. Also without having the replacement parts needed I didn't want the bike sitting around in pieces waiting with a hope and a prayer to find a replacement part. I still couldn't tell exactly where the leak came from. So I cleaned up everything real well, put everything back together and topped off the oil. I took the bike around the block, ran it through some gears and parked it for 1 day with no oil leak. The next day I charged and put +48 miles on it. When I got back home I figured if there was a leaked at the front sprocket then I should have oil spray on the rear of the bike, there was none. Dumbfounded I parked the bike on the kickstand and waited. The next day still no oil leak. So after the second day I found a couple of drops of oil on the top of the kickstand. It seems that it only leaks slightly when the bike is leaning on the kickstand and takes a really long time to drip out. So I put it back on the stands and no leaks that I can see. I guess I'll just go by the local bike shop that was selling Victory and see if they have any suggestions or would be willing to work on the bike when I'm ready. The good news is that it's not spraying oil on the rear tire while I'm riding... To be continued...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:49:38 PM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »
My father-in-law says to me, "Look your Brammo identifies as a Harley."  :o ;)
Actually Mine,
Empluse R