Author Topic: Power in Flux book review  (Read 588 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Power in Flux book review
« on: March 20, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
Book review of Power in Flux

I just finished reading Power in Flux, written by Ted Dillard, and would like to offer my  comments regarding his book, which I helped to fund by contributing to his Kickstarter campaign: Frankly, it was quite an exciting and interesting struggle to read the entire book as I can't believe how much information Ted packed into 347 pages.  I really learned a lot regarding many of the vehicles, manufacturers, universities, races, racers, personalities and innovations that made electric motorcycles possible, many of which I became familiar with during my years reading posts on the elmoto, Electric Motorcycle and Brammo forums.

In his book Ted provides considerable detail about every subject you can think of regarding the recent history and development of both commercial-manufacturer and enthusiast-built electric motorcycles, including the development of the motors and batteries that made these vehicles practical and the racing teams that did their best to make all of the parts work in unison and push the envelope on the racetrack.  I highly recommend Power in Flux to any electric motorcycle enthusiast who wants an in-depth look at the beginnings of the future of motorcycles.  (And yes Ted does cover the history of Brammo - in even more detail than he does the Zero.)

However, be aware that Power in Flux is not your typical large-format “coffee table” book with museum-quality photos of old classic British motorcycles. It is a 9” by 6” paperback book that takes you on a written trip from the beginnings of this century to 2016.  It has lots of words and just enough slightly grainy photos to illustrate the discussion in the text. Ted's book is really directed at the enthusiast who wants an inside and detailed look at what has occurred during the past 15 or 20 years.  It contains facts and quotes that you would never be able to dig up yourself and you will be amazed at how much work its author must have put into acquiring this information.  What Power in Flux is not is a general history about electric motorcycles that will appeal to the non-enthusiast who is just wondering about the technology. Ted has dug down to the “nitty-gritty” and if you want the basics, head for an encyclopedia or Wikipedia.

If you would like to order a copy of Power in Flux you can visit this website: https://powerinflux.wordpress.com/  I think you will be surprised at what you will learn and I am certain that you will not find another book about electric motorcycles that is anything like it.  Ted's book is just plain unique. It is a book that you will want to read more than once and you will definitely want to keep it on your bookshelf for future reference.

current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Power in Flux book review
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »
I was going to order a copy and then a friend sent me an excerpt where he mentions me by name. I'm not upset about that (at least he spelled my name correctly this time, unlike in his other book), but I am upset about his error on the name of this forum.

Manufacturers, would-be manufacturers and marketers used the
forums to get the new-offerings word out, research demand and provide
tech support – in some cases welcomed, in some cases discouraged,
depending on the focus of the group. The BrammoOwnersGroup.com, for
one example, was started by Harry Mallin, by all accounts a personal friend
of Brammo founder Craig Bramscher, was intentionally founded to provide
a specific group for Brammo buyers and frequented by Brammo personnel.

It's not the only error in the book (or even in that passage), but it seems to me to be intentional; probably because of the forum's shunning of his constant criticism of the brand. If it's not intentional then its inadvertence shows a sloppy indifference.  When someone is writing about a subject in which they claim to be an expert, errors and typos tell me that they didn't really care to do the work to check their facts or polish their final product. It creates doubt for me in the integrity of the work.

I wish him luck, but I won't be buying his book.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:14:29 PM »
probably because of the forum's shunning of his constant criticism of the brand. I won't be buying his book.
Well you're being polite. I found him to be somewhat of jerk and seem to remember letting him know about it. I won't be buying his book either...
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
Electric Motorcycles News has just published a long and very complementary illustrated review of Power in Flux:
https://electricmotorcycles.news/a-short-history-of-electric-vehicle-evolution/

Drivingthefuture

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
probably because of the forum's shunning of his constant criticism of the brand. I won't be buying his book.
Well you're being polite. I found him to be somewhat of jerk and seem to remember letting him know about it. I won't be buying his book either...

Do you have an example? I'm interested in this book but don't want to support another person who is to Brammo what Ed Neidermeijer is to Tesla