Author Topic: Mine is Dead now too  (Read 7321 times)

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mine is Dead now too
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 10:49:23 PM »
Congratulations on the new bike! I'm jealous about the performance forks now. Though i wished victory offered forged aluminium wheels too as an option like how energica offers.

(Assuming u were asking me) Yes i did get a new Empulse, but this was last september and before Polaris announced Victory's end of life. Around 4600 miles and going good! Havent seen real big issues so far and getting a good 85+ miles on freeway riding. So I feel its worth it :)

Congrats! And that's nice range for freeway riding! I'm really tempted to test my Enertia but at the same time scared to push it that hard on max throttle considering it is 7 yrs old... I'm getting about 40 miles of range around town so pretty happy

Great! I guess i am gentle on the throttle most times, unless i see bikers at red lights and i choose to race if its not a 1000cc motorcycle. I've had some good success (0-70mph) against 650cc, cruisers and maybe on a lucky day against something like 600RR. The trick is to start in 2nd gear ;)

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 10:21:28 AM »
Congratulations, Paul!
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »
I took a 1000 cc sports bike off the line for about a 1/2 block. Repeated it 3 times. I used 1st gear and shifted without clutch at 6K rpm.

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
I took a 1000 cc sports bike off the line for about a 1/2 block. Repeated it 3 times. I used 1st gear and shifted without clutch at 6K rpm.

Aah without clutch is another way of saving a second or so. All those fancy bikes have quickshifters!
Will shifting without clutch too much, damage the clutch/gearbox?

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
Shifting without clutch
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 11:34:14 PM »
If shifting without clutch causes problems, the only symptom I've encountered so far is forgetting how to use the clutch to shift smoothly.  At this point, I think my out-of-practice use of the clutch would do damage to the gearbox.  :)
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 05:13:17 AM »
Cool good they hooked you up.  Have fun :)  How'd you lower the footpegs?  I'm beginning to realize I might be a little big for the Empulse, it feels cramped compared to my ZR7.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

PaulHMartinez

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »
I'll post a separate thread on lowered foot pegs.

lamber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »
I'm glad Victory came through with a replacement bike!  At least they followed through on supporting their customer in the end.

Clutchless shifting shouldn't cause any significant damage, provided you use the right technique.  Most motorcycles (and I'm almost certain the IET transmission in the Empulse is one of them) use a constant mesh sequential transmission.  That means all of the gears are meshed all of the time, but not connected to the output shaft until a "dog clutch" engages them.  The dog clutch is what you direct with your foot, and locks the correct gear to the shaft.  This video has a good visual explanation, it's difficult to conceptualize:

As a result, these transmissions don't "grind" in the same way a car's transmission does.  The force of the shift is to the dog clutch, a robust part, and these types of transmissions are routinely shifted without a clutch in performance applications.  The key technique is to engage the dog clutch when the transmission is unloaded, i.e. off throttle, and shift firmly and quickly.  Quick shifters can do this by cutting spark for the miniscule amount of time it takes to slide into the next gear.  Humans have to do it with a flick of the wrist  ;)

Here's more info on the Empulse transmission if anyone's interested: http://www.ietspa.com/portfolio-posts/iet/

TL;DR Clutchless shifting is fine if you shift when there is little load on the transmission and you shift firmly.  Shifting with torque on the transmission could cause damage to the dog clutches eventually.  The clutch only makes sure the transmission is unloaded during a shift.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:04:52 AM by lamber »
- 2014 Empulse R
- 75% complete KLX250 conversion

GSX750ES

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2017, 03:46:28 AM »
I'll post a separate thread on lowered foot pegs.

Let us know where, I'm 1.96 8)