Author Topic: HELP System fault C2  (Read 3371 times)

brugja

• View Profile
    • Email
HELP System fault C2
« on: December 21, 2017, 02:30:50 AM »
Hello,
My bike doesn't charge anymore, it gives a C2 error. I saw the topic with the 0 amps charge and i read the topic about the melted connectors. Is there anybody who can tell me witch connectors they are referring to? Are they talking about the charger connector on the "tank" or are they talking about the charger inside the motorcycle?

Any other options are welcome.

thanks in advance

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: HELP System fault C2
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
C2 is a generic charger fault, if that helps.

brugja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 05:01:50 AM »
C2 is a generic charger fault, if that helps.

Wich charger do they mean by that, the lead or the one inside the bike? Do you have some more information about this?

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »
I don't have any more information, only a list of faults. It's labeled as a charger fault. There's only one charger. Outside the bike, that would be the EVSE or charging station. The charger is actually under the seat in the bike.

brugja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:37 AM »
aparently it was a melted connector wich i have replaced, but now it still doesn't want to start charging because my bike is completly empty so it doesn't give a signal to start charging.

Any suggestions?

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 12:08:47 PM »
As others have posted about similar problems, The DC-DC converter must start to provide 12 volt power.  On the Brammo, there is a two pin plastic connector under the "tank" cover, on the Victory, there is a Hella plug mounted on the bracket that holds the J1772 connector.  Apply 12 volt power (from a fused battery not a charger) to the connector which is polarity sensitive.  On the Victory, it is the center pin.  Not sure on the Brammo but someone on this forum should know which pin is which.  This should power up the circuits required to get things moving.  Once powered and charging, remove the 12 volt battery and let things proceed as normal and you should be able to get going unless your high voltage pack is actually totally dead---then you have a big problem

Biest

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 03:22:09 AM »
I also had the problem that the error C2 was displayed when chargeing. The process started normally. Faucet came on, fans started - but instead of a charge current display, the error message came and the front light went on and off rhythmically.

After all fuses had been checked and a charge at another charging point with a different cable was unsuccessful, I went (with telephone support) on a deeper troubleshooting on the motorcycle.
- MAKE SURE TO OPEN THE SKIN PLUG !!! -

On my motorcycle, a cable goes from the charging connector (J1772) through a fuse to the EV charge controller.
A cable comes out of the charge controller, which is now connected to the battery via an Anderson-connector  (below the charging connection).
That connector had melted.

After the defective connector has been removed and an XT60 soldered in (don't forget to secure it with a cable tie) the motorcycle charges again properly.

Regards
Tobias

Attach:
Anderson-connector https://www.electrifybike.com/store/p56/Anderson_Powerpole_15%2C_30%2C_45_Amp_Connectors.html#/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:26:55 AM by Biest »

gunterfalstaff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 08:00:26 PM »
I am having this exact same error on my 2016 Empulse TT... I can charge at home on with level 1, but get this C2 error every time I try a public level 2 charge.

I checked the cables mentioned above and there doesn't seem to be any damage.

Help!

-Ben
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:17:37 PM by gunterfalstaff »

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 12:47:57 PM »
Hi, I thought I would use this thread as my bike is now suffering an intermittent C2 error. I have removed the plastic tank cover and also exposed the wiring between the fuse boxes under the charge port. ( I did split the service disconnect first) . Similar to others, the Anderson powerpole connectors from the charger have been hot, black one especially. Since these are 30A connector and the bike can charge at 29A this looks to be an issue. Also my brown cable has chaffed to the wire on something. No sign of arcing or burning. Are these the best/right connector?
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

empulsefan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 03:46:10 PM »
Hello ev promise,
i tried to change the black and red connectors with AMP male/ female connectors but it failed.
A crown stone as a temporary fix works fine, so I keep it like this covered from rain with tape .

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 08:43:50 AM »
Hi, so I ordered some 30A Anderson powerpole connectors and today I fitted them, sort of. I'd decided to leave the actual contacts on the wires and just change the shells. The exchange went well but the parts are different. First the spring tension is much higher on the new ones and second, the blade width on the new ones is wider also, perhaps half a Millimetre, giving a larger contact area. I don't have a crimp tool, but tempted to replace the contacts.  I've left them separate, the datasheet shows they run cooler if not paired up. 25A is an absolute limit on 14 awg .We'll see how it goes..... back to 25A charging. This is needed for trips further afield  due to charging post output.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:51:40 AM by EV promise »
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 04:52:03 PM »
Hmm I've been learning some AC house wiring stuff lately and supposedly you want 12awg for 20Amps, 14awg for 15amps.  But that's AC stuff.

On my Victory Empulse I never had a problem L2 charging my bike, that's how i charged it all the time also.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 09:58:04 AM »
Hello, I thought I would use this topic as it's relevant and I've had this issue before.. My bike displayed the C2 message whilst charging. I was 25mls from home with 38% battery when it failed. Only just made it back!!! I've done 6k miles since the last time this went wrong.
Charging from a post should be 16amps max at 230v as the charger is 3kW, my bike was showing 24amps on the dash and had been charging for only 30mins when it stopped.  At home I only charge it at 2kW using an EVSE and have not had any problems.
I want to change the powerpole connectors for something else as these overheat and bend, parting the contacts. The XT60 connectors mentioned above look best. I'm tempted to buy some more pins for the j1772 socket also as they are available at low cost and fit 12awg wire.
Has anyone done this and has this solved the charging / powerpole issue? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 10:01:17 AM by EV promise »
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997