Author Topic: transmission vent?  (Read 761 times)

Jay64

• Enciter
    • View Profile
transmission vent?
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
Is there a transmission vent on the Empulse R, if so, where is it?
'13 Zero, '13 Brammo Empulse R, '06 GSXR 600, '03 GSXR 750, '05 Honda Shadow 750, Couple of home built electric bikes, handful of dirtbikes

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: transmission vent?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 07:34:33 PM »
Yes, it's the rubber hose, with the silver inserted cap that is held in place with a hose clamp, on the left side of the bike, at the rear support of the seat structure, above the foot peg.

I remove the cap (8 mm socket) to pour in oil with a funnel during the 3K mile oil change.

Jay64

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
Thanks, I was thinking that might be it, but wanted to make sure. Didn't see anything about it in the owners manual.
'13 Zero, '13 Brammo Empulse R, '06 GSXR 600, '03 GSXR 750, '05 Honda Shadow 750, Couple of home built electric bikes, handful of dirtbikes

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
There is a You Tube video of an Empulse TT having the trans oil changed utilizing the vent tube as a fill point.  Worth a look--good info....

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:01 AM »
I made a video of my 600 mile oil change, I'm getting kinda close to 3000 miles I might make a new one when the time comes, would be interesting to see what the oil looks like. 

2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Jay64

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
the older Brammo manual says to add oil while it is on the side stand, so that might make a difference in oil level if you are doing it on a rear stand, hence the extra oil when it is on the rear stand. But then again, the older manual doesn't say anything about the weep plug or the vent, so maybe they changed things for the victory manual.

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »
Be sure....  Be careful....  I know of NO motorcycle where you fill/add/check oil on the side stand....  You always add with the bike vertical (wheel choke, center stand, buddy sitting/holding)....  I also find it hard to believe that Brammo and Victory were using different transmissions....  I don't think Victory had time to make any changes after the purchase and production....  An overfill/underfill could cause some serious and expensive problems !!!!

Jay64

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:34:04 AM »
I stated exactly what the owner's manual said.

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
The transmission holds exactly one liter of oil.  If you drain the transmission completely and refill it with one liter of oil it will come out of the level check plug just at the point the oil bottle is empty.  This only works if the bike is in an upright position, not on it's side stand.  However, the Polaris service manual plainly states "The transmission should be filled with the motorcycle standing on level ground and supported on the kickstand".  It also states to fill the transmission with 1.0L (1 quart) of .....  One quart  and one liter aren't exactly the same.

I have been filling it with one liter of oil at each change.  I don't take the level plug out anymore because if you get a complete drain of the old oil (sitting upright) then adding one liter of oil will fill it correctly no matter what the position of the motorcycle is.

Jay64

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 10:45:35 AM »
In the 2013 manual it states to fill "approximately 1.0L (1 quart)". I thought the use of the word approximately was an odd inclusion. Also since they stated 1 L and 1 Q I'm guessing it doesn't really matter in their view.

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »
Yeah, for our purposes a Liter and a Quart are close enough-- 1 Liter = 1.06 Quarts.

I agree with siai47 about oil changes.  I warm the tranny with a good 20 minute ride to warm and thin the oil for improved removal.  I put the bike in a wheel chock (upright), drain the oil well, replace a clean plug with a new crush washer, fill tranny via the vent, 1QT of Amsoil Metric SAE 10W-30 (wet clutch compatible) as recommended by Brammo.  This oil yields a smoother operating transmission.  I have measured the removed oil several times-- always yields 1 QT.  So, I never both to remove the overflow plug either....