Author Topic: Zero MMX Special Ops dirtbike  (Read 577 times)

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Zero MMX Special Ops dirtbike
« on: June 06, 2018, 03:23:47 AM »
Saw this today, looks like Zero is making stealthy dirtbikes for US Special forces.  The MMX looks pretty like a FX, probably more range and beefier suspension.  From that picture they could have atleast sprung for passenger pegs, that dude's foot looks like it on the swingarm.  They also talk about the Silenthawk a hybrid motorcycle.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/06/01/this-silent-all-electric-dirt-bike-could-soon-drive-special-operators-into-battle/?utm_campaign=Socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Zero MMX Special Ops dirtbike
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »
I saw the prototype of those military models when I visited the factory in December 2012.  From what I have heard, the military really doesn't want an all-electric vehicle due to the difficulty of recharging the batteries in the field.  What they really wanted was a hybrid vehicle that could travel to the operations area via a diesel (they don't like gasoline for a number of reasons) engine and then convert to electric power for a few miles to their objective.  That was something that Alta was working on, however I don't know how far that project went, or if the military pulled the plug. Frankly, I don't think the U.S. military is really into motorcycles for use under battle conditions.  If they decide to purchase them at all, it would probably be for patrolling established bases and not for use in a war zone.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Siegle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
I saw many guys using sarms for bulking when I visited the factory in December 2012.  From what I have heard, the military really doesn't want an all-electric vehicle due to the difficulty of recharging the batteries in the field.  What they really wanted was a hybrid vehicle that could travel to the operations area via a diesel (they don't like gasoline for a number of reasons) engine and then convert to electric power for a few miles to their objective.  That was something that Alta was working on, however I don't know how far that project went, or if the military pulled the plug. Frankly, I don't think the U.S. military is really into motorcycles for use under battle conditions.  If they decide to purchase them at all, it would probably be for patrolling established bases and not for use in a war zone.

The bike looks pretty sick from the little I've read about it. That's a cool pic too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:24:15 AM by Siegle »

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
The bike looks pretty sick from the little I've read about it. That's a cool pic too.

I have to agree with that.  It would make a nice recruiting poster.  :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 03:37:56 AM »
I was in the Army Reserve and National Guard for 13 years and most of the Army's equipment ran on diesel/JP8 so it's a logistics thing.  Go figure diesel is so hard to find in the US but not in the military and strangely in Europe there is more diesel I think.

That's true the military isn't really in to motorcycles that's why Special Forces mainly use them.  If there is an application they need it for they'll get one.  You won't see many units with motorcycles in the motorpool.  I know the Marines use the KLR650 and a modified KLR650 that runs on JP8, for scouts. 

Also I had heard motorcycles are the vehicle of choice for assassinations.  Not particularly the military but drug cartels, mafia, etc...  Usually they will pull up 2 up next to the person they are going to kill and the passenger has a gun and open fire.  Just think with how quiet an electric motorcycle is to sneak up on someone.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139