Author Topic: Unbolting Clutch Slave Cylinder to Change Counter sprocket  (Read 705 times)

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unbolting Clutch Slave Cylinder to Change Counter sprocket
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:53:11 AM »
I was looking at the steps to replace the countersprocket in the service manual and it says you need to unbolt the hydraulic line going to the clutch slave cylinder to remove the slave cylinder.  Is this really necessary?  I'd rather not refill and bleed the clutch if I don't have to.  Has anybody replace the countersprocket and done this?
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Unbolting Clutch Slave Cylinder to Change Counter sprocket
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:24:37 PM »
 I changed chain and sprockets about a year or so ago and have no memory of needing to remove the clutch slave cylinder. I certainly remember NOT needing to drain the circuit.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:23 AM »
Hmm went an changed it and I definitely had to unbolt the slave cylinder and move it out of the way.  It sandwiches a plastic chain guard (which I think is just there to catch goop coming off the chain).  I did unbolt it with the line still attached, I got some fluid weeping from it too not a lot but I tried to minimize the time it was off.  I tried to depress the plunger in with a large locking plier which I think was unnecessary and may have bent the plunger. 

But I have it all back together now and the clutch seems ok.  There was some fluid weeping from it and I cleaned it a buncha times and took it out for a ride and it shifts fine.  will periodically check the slave cylinder to see if it's still weeping for now, hope I didn't damage it.

But to answer my question it's totally fine to just unbolt the slave cylinder.

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:42 AM »
the oil weeping out does't have to be from the slave cilinder.
could just be transmission oil.
It's a wet clutch system after all  :)

speaking about transmission oil:
https://www.putoline.com/en/product-recommendation/motorcycles-scooters-mopeds-quads-atv/brammo/empulse/empulse-r/52725/412013/#!/component:412013/

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 02:18:50 AM »
Hmm you could be right, I'm worried about anything weeping out of my bike though =/  If I see it weeping again I will go and dab it on something with some paint on it and see if it will eat the paint.