Author Topic: V58 Error code  (Read 2334 times)

Qutaneous

• View Profile
V58 Error code
« on: June 20, 2018, 12:38:14 PM »
My 2011 Enertia with approx 6000 miles is throwing the V58 code consistently. The flashing red warning on the dash is driving me crazy.  Bike is totally stock.  Researched the topic but cannot find an answer.  Is the DC/DC converter remove and replace the answer? Any help is appreciated. And of course a source for the replacement. Thanks fellow Brammo fans.

amped

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: V58 Error code
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
Remove the upper and lower body panels, disconnect the main battery interconnect cable, it's the big red cable that leads to a blue connector that goes into the frame, this is the power cable that attaches the upper and lower battery packs together, you want to do this before working on anything electrical for safety. Under the lower bodywork at the front is a black rectangular box with the electrical connector attaching to the right side of the converter, this is the DC/DC convertor. If the converter hasn't failed completely, this connector is the most likely problem, contacts are probably dirty or the connector has worked loose somehow. Separate the DC/DC electrical connector and clean the connectors on both ends, for this I just sprayed some WD40 in both ends, blow out excess, this next step is probably the most crucial, on the female end of the connector you want carefully push or pry both sides of the female contacts closer together, do the same for all 4 slots, reconnect and disconnect it a couple of times, recheck the female connector and readjust the contacts if needed then reconnect make sure the connection is solid and it wont come loose. Reattach the battery interconnect and the power tank button if you have one and the bike should power up normally, if all works as it should, button back up and your good to go.

I had same problem on my 2010 Enertia for months, I'd clean contacts on the DC/DC connector only to have the V58 error code popup again, could be days or weeks but it would always comeback, it wasn't until I made the the contacts on the female side of the connector tighter so it would apply more physical pressure to the contact points finally solve the problem. Hope this works for you. Good Luck!

Qutaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 05:07:43 PM »
Awesome response! Detailed and extremely helpful. Getting ready to tear into it.
Thank you very much amped.  ;D

Qutaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »
Amped was right on the money. Took off the the  upper and lower cowling.  Pulled the larger power supply plug before working on anything.  Took the large flat plug off from the DC Converter.  Because the plug is directly behind the wind screen on the lower valence, it was dirty and greasy.  Cleaned plug and surrounding areas. Used small screw driver to slightly bend the female portion of the plug and then refit plug to ensure a snug fit.  V58 error code is now gone.  THANK YOU AMPED!!!!!!

Drivingthefuture

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:25:41 PM »
Awesome! I'm gonna have to do the same thing for my motor controller. Will use similar steps (clean connections with WD-40). If that doesn't work, I've found one of the original Brammo engineers out in Oregon who said he can send me a new controller and motor already paired and walk me thru install, hopefully it does not come to that.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
Hi,

on my last commute, my bike had the same V58 error and red warning light flashing erratically on the dash, so I would like to try the remedy described here.  The bike otherwise runs fiine.

@Amped, thank you very much for posting this remedy.  It gives me hope that the bike has a few more years of life yet.

I'm not mechanically inclined, so I might not have the right tools on hand.  Could you please describe which would be helpful to have on hand for removing the body panels and disconnecting the main battery interconnect cable?  Or would it be advisable to ask an electric-motorcycle friendly service center (e.g. a Zero dealer) since they would have the same caution around electricity and the correct tool set?

Thank you,
Michael
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 02:58:52 PM by MichaelJ »
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »
Nevermind.  Following the owner's manual's instructions to remove the body panels and disconnect the battery, it turns out that I had the necessary hex wrenches.

Looks like I have to go shopping for the right torque wrench with hex bits for reassembly, though.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 07:38:32 PM »

Hi again,

After removing the upper and lower body panels, and disconnecting the battery, I'm not sure where to find the electrical connector that needs to be cleaned.

Under the lower bodywork at the front is a black rectangular box with the electrical connector attaching to the right side of the converter, this is the DC/DC convertor.

At the bottom of the bike, looking back from the front, I see a vertical radiator and a horizontal heat sink.  (See photo #1)

Photo 1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpqMp6cwzw2kQL6G7

On the right side, there is a fat black one inch diameter cable running towards the radiator.  There is also a think grey one quarter inch diameter cable whose wires split into *two* black plastic connectors, seen at the bottom right of photo #2, to the right of the yellow warning label.

Photo 2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kW1z5a9Am3aMSQnF7

These two black plastic connectors are zip tied to the larger cable (pipe?).  Are these what you are talking about?

Unfortunately, I don't see anything that resembles the photo that Qutaneous posted in March.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
Oops. I just realized that this is the Enertia section of the forum.  Of course the Empulse would look different and have different wiring.  Sorry about that.