Author Topic: VCU broken, completely dead  (Read 2408 times)

stromkreisparadies

• View Profile
VCU broken, completely dead
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
I registered here today because I can not go any further, so I hope you can help.
First of all to me:
I'm Markus, 33 from Dresden in Germany and driving since 2013 a Renault Twizy and since 2017 (2015 model) a Brammo Empulse R.

To my problem:
I made a descent and then an intersection while standing thie bike just get off. dash off, pump off, completely dead.
Pulling bike back home and checking it.

Thankfully I have the (almost) complete workshop equipment by a happy turnaround.
i.e. I have schematics, service instructions, hardware and software for the battery (same as for enertia) an for the whole bike (IXXAT-Can Compact + Software)
I measured the various voltage levels (For info: 104V, 24V, 12V, 5V 3.3V).
Anyway, I'm sure that the VCU (main controller) is defective. 12V lighting is still working and the BMS also with the blinking.
There are no DASH-CAN POWER provided.
I recognized with my thermal imaging camera the VCU board 5V-3.3V voltage transformer got very hot (> 100 ° C = 210°F).
The entire board takes 600mA @ 12V. If I soldering out the voltage regulator, there are only 15mA left.
However, it is not on the controller, because somewhere in the 3.3V branch is a short.
Unfortunately, the entire board is plastic coated, which is only solvable with acetone and this made it very difficult. It seems to be a 4 Layer PCB and so im out of my knowing with reverse engineering.

Anyone have an idea how the VCU come back, who has further documentation?
Can you sell a VCU or are you interested in buying the Brammo (about 4000km)
I found the VCU for the 2016 Victory in an online shop in the US, but I do not know if that fits.

Sorry for some translating issues ;)

I cant add big images so there are some postet from me there:
https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/elektromotorraeder/brammo-empulse-vcu-defekt-t34795.html

Again in German:

Zu meinem Problem:
Ich habe eine Ausfahrt gemacht und dann ist an einer Kreuzung im Stand einfach das Mopped ausgegangen. Dash weg, Pumpe aus, komplett tot.
Also Motorrad nach Hause verfrachtet und nachgesehen, dacht erst an was einfaches wie eine Sicherung.

Gottseidank habe ich durch einen glücklichen Umstand die (fast) komplette Werkstattausrüstung.
d.h. ich habe Schaltpläne, Arbeitsanweisungen für den Service, Hardware und Software sowohl für die Batterie (Baugleich mit der Enertia) als auch für das Motorrad ansich (IXXAT-Can Compact+Software)
Ich habe mich also durch das gesamte Mopped und die verschiedenen Spannungsebenen gewühlt (Zur info: 104V,24V,12V,5V 3,3V) welche auch galvanisch voneinander getrennt sind usw.
Jedenfalls bin ich mir inzwischen sicher, dass die VCU (Hauptsteuerung) defekt ist. 12V Beleuchtung geht noch und auch das BMS inkl Batterieblinken geht. Laden habe ich nicht probiert aber gehe von der Topologie her davon aus dass es nicht geht, weil das Ladegerät nicht angesteuert wird.
Es werden keine DASH-CAN POWER bereitgestellt.
Ich habe mit meiner Wärmebildkamera die VCU Leiterplatte begutachtet und festgestellt dass der 5V-3,3V Spannungswandler sehr heiß wird (>100°C).
Die gesamte Platine nimmt 12V@600mA auf. Wenn ich den Spannungsregler auslöte sind es nur noch 15mA.
Allerdings liegt es nicht am Regler ansich, denn irgendwo im 3,3V Zweig ist ein Kurzschluss.
Leider ist die komplette Platine kunststoffbeschichtet, welcher nur mit Aceton weggeht, was das messen sehr erschwert. außerdem ist Sie scheinbar vierlagig wodurch mit reverse Engineering an meine Grenzen komme.

Hat irgendwer eine Idee wie ich die VCU wieder repariert bekomme, hat wer weiterführende Doku dazu?
Kann mir wer eine VCU verkaufen oder beschaffen oder hat interesse die Brammo zu kaufen (ca 4000km)
Ich habe in einem Onlineshop in den USA die VCU für die 2016er Victory gefunden, weiß aber nicht ob das passt.

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: VCU broken, completely dead
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:03:43 PM »
there are some dead brammo's around mayby some one will sell.

there is also (or was) one in die Nierderlande that's still running but has a lot of Km's on it. (5000euro I believe, electricmotorcycles.nl)

may it's worth it to buy that one as a doner bike.

Maybe we cannot help you, but if you would share you documentation/software you can probably help a lot of us.

stromkreisparadies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
today i got new hope.

i addes 3,3V at the output of the regulator and due to the short something have to got warm. with my thermal imaging camera i recognice the capacitor next to the regulator get warm (just 1-2°C, no way to detect this without thermal imaging) after soldering off it seems to be repaired. replacing shoult worth ~0,5$ . i will report. maybe it will help somebody with dead electronics.

the problem with the documentary is that it is from a seller and i mustn't give it around. but you can pm me ;)

stromkreisparadies

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:24:12 PM »
beeing super happy!

this was it. i'm angry about me cause i lost 4 month not trying to repair.
i added a pic, the cap with the arrow was shorted.
bike is running again :D

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »
wow 8)

that's fantastic!

good to hear this, gives me hope if I run into electronic trouble one day :o

Sabinn

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 10:47:05 PM »
Holy crap. That's some serious Tony Stark level troubleshooting right there. Well done sir!

cuttysark76

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
beeing super happy!

this was it. i'm angry about me cause i lost 4 month not trying to repair.
i added a pic, the cap with the arrow was shorted.
bike is running again :D

Well Done!!!

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 05:25:12 AM »
Chapeau!
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Barbarossa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:12:31 AM »
Gute Arbeit! Good work!

Da kannst du den Rest der Saison ja noch nutzen :)

Viel Spaß damit!

Dizanta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 11:47:35 AM »
I registered to this forum today. Reason is that I just become the owner of a non-functional Brammo Empulse 2014.
The USB logs show me messages as
- GET SERVICE V78  : Real Time Clock Not Working
- ALLOW COOLDOWN B64  : Battery Fault: 300A Over Current Warning

This seems very much the same issue as in this topic.
So, I was hoping that I could obtain some documentation over the bike via this thread.

@stromkreisparadies, If you stil have that documentation on this bike, I would be more than happy to receive a copy of it.

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 01:40:18 PM »
Hi, I think the  V78 error is caused by the coin cell in the vcu being flat for the real time clock. The cells don't last for ever. I've changed a few in laptops. However I don't know how to reset the date without diagnostic software. Not happened to mine yet!
My bike shows the B64 error in the logs on start-up occasionally. I don't think it's a real error. You never see it on the screen. See what others think.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Dizanta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 07:38:11 AM »
Hi EV Promise,

the coin cell on my VCU is of the rechargeable type. Don't think that needs replacement, yet.
Another sign that this coin cell is still working is that time and date are still correct!

What I think the real time clock is for is taking care of the timing of all processes within the VCU at a micro second scale.
It more looks like the +12 V regulator of the VCU is having issues. Voltage is around 10.5 - 11 Volt.
Not entirey sure, zo please inform me if you know what is going on with the VCU.

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 02:56:46 AM »
Hi, the VCU voltage does appear low and needs to be above 11.5v from other posts to avoid errors. Putting " V78 " in the search box  offers various thoughts and solutions. No mention of the VCU battery being rechargeable, however i would think it's only needed when the "service disconnect" is parted. An area still needing feedback on real outcomes I feel. Sorry I'm not helping.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Dizanta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 04:24:45 AM »
Thanks EV,

I still hope @Stromkreisparadies is willing to share the documentation he has on the Empulse with me. That might shad some light on the issue I am dealing with.
And, off course, I will conduct another search on the V78 error message.

Really hope to solve this issue now spring and summer is near!  ;D

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 03:22:25 PM »
It's best to write a PM to stromkreisparadies, because he doesn't go to this forum very often.  :)
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012