Author Topic: Brammo Software  (Read 6411 times)

cuttysark76

• Enciter
    • View Profile
Brammo Software
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:05:59 AM »
I'm not sure what it is or how to use it but already downloaded everything!

http://polaris.diagsys.com/modules.php?name=Downloads

Digital Wrench Software
Brammo Diagnostics Software (Battery, MC and Vehicle Diagnostic Application)
Brammo Calibration Files (Dash Firmware, BMS Firmware, DCF file among others)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:07:31 AM by cuttysark76 »

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Brammo Software
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »
Nice find!

AFAIK, you still need an IXXAT CAN to USB converter and a little adapter, but I have the pinout and connectors for it if people want em.

turbotortuga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »
I bought the VICTORY EMPULSE DIAGNOSTIC Tool PV-51895 kit a while back off Ebay. Is this software all I need to tap into the bikes software?

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do NOT know what you're doing, it is very easy to make your Empulse inoperative, sometimes permanently. I do NOT suggest you try to do anything unless there is something specific you are looking to change, or diagnose. The software is for Brammo-trained Techs.

The only reason I know anything about it is that I owned one, knew people at Brammo, and I have experience with the Sevcon. I do not have experience with the VCU or BMS. As far as I know, you need a different cable than the IXXAT for the BMS, and I'm not sure if it's in that kit.

Tread carefully, even though the software is available, you can completely brick the motorcycle if you're not careful and flash the wrong firmware to the different components.

Also, the part that is largely missing, is any documentation on how to use any of the software that is linked.

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 03:38:34 PM »
This is a really good finding :)

Frodus : I totally agree with your warning and people should be really careful using them. That being said I think we should also be able to have all tools available to maintain and repair our bike. I already think it is the case for a "normal" vehicle but it is especially true for our Empulses which are left without any support (It is especially true in Europe).

So if you have information that you could share, like the pinout and the connector to use on the bike I, and the community also, would be really interested. I had the info that it could be rs485, I have converters that I could use but finding the connector to put on the bike may be a challenge.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:49:04 AM »
I don't know a ton, or have much info, on the VCU or BMS software. The VCU seems to be accessed over Canbus via a 3-pin metripack connector under the front right cover below the frame cross bar. One is Display CAN the other is Controller CAN. DO NOT ever connect them together, as the controller CAN is not isolated.

The Controller CAN gives access to the controller setup. You can tweak things, but not a lot of diagnostics can be done for the rest of the bike. I've never got training, but I have seen some of the software linked.

I have a full schematic of the bike, and other documents, that I need to get to someone that can guarantee they will be scanned in and put somewhere others can access. I was going to give it to vtbrammorider, but I haven't done it yet. I don't have time, nor a Brammo.

I think the connection from VCU to the BMS is all RS485 of some proprietary protocol and requires an RS485 tool that I've not found. The connection from computer to VCU or Controller is via an IXXAT Can to USB dongle as far as I know, but they may use something else if the Victory software is proprietary.

I tweaked a little on mine back in the day, but never did much diagnosing, as mine had no issues.

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
Frodus, Do I uderstand correctly that you are in possesion of hard copies?
I would gladly do the work for you but I'm situated in Europe.

I maybe able to get some service hardeware too, from there on I could start helping fellow Empulse riders out.

PM me if you would like to discuss further.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 03:53:04 PM »
What I need is to hand off all of it to someone. I do know how to use DVT very well, and that it requires an IXXAT cable. I don't, however, know if their software requires that same dongle or uses DVT for the controller, or if they have some sort of custom software they've done. I don't have a bike or time to really figure out what is what.

There are useful tech service bulletins, and also a full schematic.

I do know that different firmwares might brick the VCU, because they're different hardware revisions. I also know that different controller files will cause unwanted operation, because there are 5-6 different motor versions between all of the years of bikes.

I gave the info for the Enertia to Harry, and that is pending addition to the wiki. The Empulse stuff will go to John (VTBrammorider) this week, and be put on the Wiki.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:52:38 PM by frodus »

stromkreisparadies

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 10:47:29 AM »
For the Battery you need a special Adapter (RS-485) and for the Dash/MCU also (this are two different Can buses!)

I'll try to add the pinouts.
Its for a 2015 Empluse R, but for the Battery is the same on Enertia

cuttysark76

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
How to read this sub menu?

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »
The top 2 it's in math/physics terms:

V = Volts
I = Amps/Current

ERR looks like some kind of error code maybe?
Not sure about S
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

stromkreisparadies

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »
the empulse has 2 CANBus and one RS485
the two CAN are boot accessible near the fork on the right. Its recommed to unmount the little triagle plastic because it cracks easily. Both has same Pinout. You neeed IXXAT Can-Compact.
One is for the Sevcon and one for BMS and DASH. Strongly recommed not to touch the last.
I would say you should align the motorsensor from time to time for best performance. It works booth with the Sevcon Software and the Brammo Software on the Link abolve.
For the Battery you need another tool and another Software, there you can see each cell voltage, temperatrue, moisture, max current and such things. Accessible under the seat.

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 03:19:50 PM »
Hi, I am in the process of making the Battery Diagnostic Cable. I found the good connector to the battery modules, I also have the software and the schematics for the cable. There is two problems :

1) the Brammo Diagnostic Software does not recognize any of my COM port, anyone knows which chip is used in the original cable to be recognize. (To know it you need to go in windows device manager and double clic on the COM port to see which manufacturer it is)

2) On the cable schematic there is two cables labelled RS485_INTERLOCK_1 and RS485_INTERLOCK_2, I don't know what are the two cables. I suppose that they are connected together in the battery or in the cable to let the battery know that the cable is connected or something like that. If someone who has the cable could check the resistance between cable 5 and 6 in the M12 round cable that would be really nice.

I hope to find answers but it will not be as easy !

MiBa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 03:00:03 AM »
Hi,
the service adapter looks like this:

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=428

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=429

Its based on a FT232RL and a 8PIN Transceiver chip.

The schematic might be similar to that one:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_USB_RS485_CABLES.pdf

PIN6 / Interlock_2/ brown wire / is connected to GND (or PIN8)
PIN5 / Interlock_1 / green wire / is somehow open or not connected, I can't find any connection to somewhere

I hope this helps

Regards
Michael

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 08:58:52 AM »
That is great news, thank you very much. What is weird is tha I have an FTDI RS232 adapter but it was not recognized by the Brammo software. On which operating system are you running the Brammo software ?