Author Topic: Oil leak from transmission fixes?  (Read 6936 times)

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oil leak from transmission fixes?
« on: May 06, 2019, 03:16:28 AM »
I very recently completed 10k miles and observed some leak around the plastic cover around the transmission/motor area on the left hand side of the bike. i took it to the local dealer in San Jose to get it checked and they mentioned that the leak was not much, but it was probably due to a failed gasket or housing inside the transmission. And unfortunately they said that they could not work on any repairs on the bike.

My best guess is that the gaskets in the transmission needs replacement and i may need to find someone to do this job. Any thoughts would help!

-Shayan

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oil leak from transmission fixes?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 03:24:30 AM »
Is it oil or coolant?

oil would be dark.
coolant would be transparent.

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:45:54 AM »
Hopefully it's an oil leak and not coolant.  A slight oil leak is easier to live with than a coolant leak in the motor.  The dealer you took it to specifically said "transmission" so hopefully that's where the leak is.  When you say the "leak around the plastic cover" is it coming from the round cover at the end of the motor or is it further back near the chain sprocket?  The motor itself has no oil in it to leak, only coolant.  Behind the motor there are two places that could leak transmission oil--the output shaft seal where the front sprocket is attached and the gear shift shaft just below it.  In addition, there could be oil coming from the transmission breather but it would be noticeable as it would get over a lot of parts.  You could also be leaking brake fluid from the clutch slave cylinder which is mounted directly in front of the forward chain sprocket.  If it is leaking enough to leave an oil spot on the floor while sitting then what you want to do is clean the entire transmission with a degreaser, dry it off and park the bike until you see a drop of oil or coolant.  Then follow a line straight up from the floor to the area on the bike where the leak is coming from.  Because the bike sits on a side stand and leans to the left, the leak could be on the right side and just flowing to the left before it drips off.  So look for any traces of oil that might have run under the motor/transmission.  If it isn't coolant (and it's a slow leak) I would just keep an eye on it.  If it is coolant it's possible the leak is at the coolant hose connections to the motor.  However, there is a thread about coolant leaks it the motor itself which would be the worst situation to have.

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 02:30:16 PM »
Is it oil or coolant?

oil would be dark.
coolant would be transparent.
The dealer did confirm that there is no coolant leak from the motor and that it is indeed an oil leak.
I got some of this liquid on my hand after i ran my finger over the part where the oil was leaking and it was black. The same liquid after service (transmission oil change) was not black or transparent anymore. I could only observe it to be a high viscous fluid (hence assuming its not coolant).
Hopefully it's an oil leak and not coolant.  A slight oil leak is easier to live with than a coolant leak in the motor.  The dealer you took it to specifically said "transmission" so hopefully that's where the leak is.  When you say the "leak around the plastic cover" is it coming from the round cover at the end of the motor or is it further back near the chain sprocket?  The motor itself has no oil in it to leak, only coolant.  Behind the motor there are two places that could leak transmission oil--the output shaft seal where the front sprocket is attached and the gear shift shaft just below it.  In addition, there could be oil coming from the transmission breather but it would be noticeable as it would get over a lot of parts.  You could also be leaking brake fluid from the clutch slave cylinder which is mounted directly in front of the forward chain sprocket.  If it is leaking enough to leave an oil spot on the floor while sitting then what you want to do is clean the entire transmission with a degreaser, dry it off and park the bike until you see a drop of oil or coolant.  Then follow a line straight up from the floor to the area on the bike where the leak is coming from.  Because the bike sits on a side stand and leans to the left, the leak could be on the right side and just flowing to the left before it drips off.  So look for any traces of oil that might have run under the motor/transmission.  If it isn't coolant (and it's a slow leak) I would just keep an eye on it.  If it is coolant it's possible the leak is at the coolant hose connections to the motor.  However, there is a thread about coolant leaks it the motor itself which would be the worst situation to have.
Thank you for the detailed notes @siai47
I have attached a couple of pictures and as you can (hopefully, because the pics are not of great quality) see, the leak is not much. I did not see any drips of oil in my parking spot over the weekend. What i cannot clearly see is where the oil leak is originating from. It is getting out of the gap in the black cover though. So looking at the pictures and reading through your response, it does not seem like a brake fluid leak?

-Shayan

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:37:17 AM »
If the oil comes out from the left side where the motor cooling mantel meets the gearbox, then the o-ring on the motor on the inside of the gearbox is leaking.
That's an easy fix but jou will need to take the motor out of the gearbox and thus disconnect the cabling on the motor. and remove the cooling ports (easier than trying to take the hoses of).

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »
I agree that it might be the motor/transmission O-ring.  He should be able to see oil between the motor and the transmission.  The O-ring itself isn't a problem to buy however to get to it you not only have to take the motor and transmission assembly out of the motorcycle but you need to remove the clutch cover on the transmission.  That will most likely destroy the paper gasket that (like most everything else) is unobtainable and will have to be hand made.  Unless the bolts hold the motor to the transmission are loose, I would just monitor and live with this problem.

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:36:48 PM »
Thank you for the responses guys. For now i'll keep an eye on it until i see actual drops of oil coming out and getting collected on the floor. It seemed like partzilla.com accepted orders for victory oem parts and now it seems like all the stuff is gone from there  :-\

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:51:02 PM »
I don't know for the Victory Empulse TT but for the Brammo Empulse R you do not need to take the cover of the transmission.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »
Dang that sucks I'm beginning to see the added complexity of the gearbox and cooling system will be the death of these bikes.  Could you just clean it up really well and put some RTV sealant on it and maybe retorque whatever is holding the gasket on there?
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 11:37:21 AM »
it's not a leaking gasket but an o-ring.
aparently they wear/dry out.
the gasket is on the rightside for the gearbox and clutch plates.

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
Dang that sucks I'm beginning to see the added complexity of the gearbox and cooling system will be the death of these bikes.  Could you just clean it up really well and put some RTV sealant on it and maybe retorque whatever is holding the gasket on there?
Problem with gasket or not, thats a good temporary fix. I'll give it a shot!
it's not a leaking gasket but an o-ring.
aparently they wear/dry out.
the gasket is on the rightside for the gearbox and clutch plates.
Is it possible that i can get this checked without destroying the paper gasket?

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 03:56:03 PM »
make a photo of the righthandside of the transmission (rearbrake side) so I can compare it with my disassambled empulse.
should be 8 bolts that hold the motor to the gearbox
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:10:13 PM by Leander »

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
make a photo of the righthandside of the transmission (rearbrake side) so I can compare it with my disassambled empulse.
should be 8 bolts that hold the motor to the gearbox
Pic attached. Let me know if the pic is clear enough. Thanks!

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 02:03:38 PM »
I meant from the side :o

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email