Author Topic: Comparing production electric motorcycles  (Read 637 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Comparing production electric motorcycles
« on: August 07, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »
Here is a specification and price comparison of the H-D, Zero and Energica electric motorcycles published by Motorcycle.com:
https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2020-electric-motorcycle-spec-shootout
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Comparing production electric motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:54:17 AM »
Hmm interesting stuff that I already knew.  Hopefully they can get all 3 bike together because on paper and real world are two different things =P  I'd like to see range tests, dyno tests, etc... realworld stuff side by side.  It would be interesting to put the Brammo Empulse in for comparison.

But these motos definitely are bringing the next level in performance to electric motorcycles. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:57:08 AM by HadesOmega »
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:41:54 AM »
Ok I did =P  It's in the PDF attachment.  I couldn't find a easy way to post it on the forum unfortunately =/  I got the specs from the Victory manual and Cycleworld.

I don't know if I calculated the torque values right since the Empulse has the 6-speed gearbox.  I just took the Cycleworld torque number and multiplied it to each of the gears ratio.  At any rate the torque is sorely lacking in the Empulse compared to the other bikes =P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:05:11 AM by HadesOmega »

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
Ok I did =P  It's in the PDF attachment.  I couldn't find a easy way to post it on the forum unfortunately =/  I got the specs from the Victory manual and Cycleworld.

I don't know if I calculated the torque values right since the Empulse has the 6-speed gearbox.  I just took the Cycleworld torque number and multiplied it to each of the gears ratio.  At any rate the torque is sorely lacking in the Empulse compared to the other bikes =P

Thanks for going to the effort to compile that comparison. Interesting stuff and something that might be historically useful sometime in the future.  :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:20:00 PM »
Also here are some things I notice stand out among the bikes:

Livewire is the most expensive no surprised, least is the standard SR/F

The SR/F is the only passively air cooled bike, the other bikes are either water or oil cooled.

The HD has the largest battery capacity, the Empulse has the smallest

Eva has the most HP and Empulse has least and same for torque figures

The Empulse is the only one with a multispeed gearbox obviously

The HD has the highest calculated torque figure the Empulse has the least but it is variable

The Empulse is the "dumbest" bike as in least electronic rider aids

The Empulse is the only bike with a Aluminum Beam frame, kinda like a spine.

The Empulse TT has the narrowest rear wheel and tire. However the Empulse R has a 180 rear I know, the rear on the TT was purposely made narrower for better turn in.

SR/F has the smallest wheelbase

Empulse has the shortest seat height, the other 3 are roughly the same height

Empulse is the lightest the Eva is the heaviest

The Eva has the weakest battery warranty

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »
In addition, the Empulse seems to have the lowest CG of any of the bikes.  Oh course I haven't ridden the livewire, but the Energica Ego is almost impossible (for me) to ride in an urban environment without a lot of body "English" to get it to turn.  The SR/F seems pretty close to the Empulse but I fear the addition of the "power tank" which weighs 42 pounds up high on the bike might impact the fairly neutral handling of the Zero.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »
I have ridden the SR/F and it has an amazingly low CG.  It has a very good turning radius too.  They say it is hard to do wheelies with the SR/F because the weight is so low.  For such a big bike it is pretty nimble.